No announcement yet.

My 88 mgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my 88 was doing that, it was the pip (just replaced the dizzy) and another time it was the connector to the TFI coming slightly loose (zip tie to hold the release clips down flat sorted that).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If it just shuts off while driving that does sound like an electrical problem. Could be ignition related, but you might also have a crappy fuel pump relay or ECM relay. Have you ever tried whacking those relays with a screwdriver handle to see if it stumbles? Usually if the relays are sketchy, they'll act up with percussive diagnostic methods.

Fuel problems tend to feel different, it will lose power and get weak before just shutting off. Electrical is usually more like you turned the key off.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The other thing it could be... and I know you already replaced that too... is the ignition switch. Like gadget said... percussive diagnosis (tappy tap tap) will find that as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          If it just shuts off while driving that does sound like an electrical problem. Could be ignition related, but you might also have a crappy fuel pump relay or ECM relay. Have you ever tried whacking those relays with a screwdriver handle to see if it stumbles? Usually if the relays are sketchy, they'll act up with percussive diagnostic methods.

Fuel problems tend to feel different, it will lose power and get weak before just shutting off. Electrical is usually more like you turned the key off.
          Yeah tapped everything and nothing happened

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
            Yeah tapped everything and nothing happened
            So changed the egr vac solenoid and reconnected the green egr line seems to be running like it did when removing the line. No studdering or truning of at ideal. Cleared codes again and rechecked
            And 13
            Cel is still on i hope the solenoid will fix my stalling issue

Comment

Did you ever check curb idle?
              Also could the IAC be bad or not getting signal?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

what does it show for stored codes? Check with the engine not running.

13 usually means it won't idle down far enough. Could be the throttle stop is too far open, or if its an HO throttle body, it has too large of an air bleed hole. Unplug the IAC and see what it idles at. If its over about 500 rpm and the TPS is in range, try putting your finger over the hole in the throttle body plate. If it idles down, plug the hole and see if the code 13 clears. Duct tape will serve for quick and dirty test purposes.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  what does it show for stored codes? Check with the engine not running.

13 usually means it won't idle down far enough. Could be the throttle stop is too far open, or if its an HO throttle body, it has too large of an air bleed hole. Unplug the IAC and see what it idles at. If its over about 500 rpm and the TPS is in range, try putting your finger over the hole in the throttle body plate. If it idles down, plug the hole and see if the code 13 clears. Duct tape will serve for quick and dirty test purposes.
                  I reset it so only thing that came up was 11 I think that system okay right but I’ll check again when i get out. So i took it to work today and it didn’t turn of not once. Im hoping it was that. it does have the ho tb and ho intake
                  Jaywish also not sure of what u mean bye check curb idle how is that done. Car doesn’t have a tach which it need one. After I figure this stuff out. Ima get some guages
                  Tach
                  Voltage
                  Coolant temp
                  oil pressure guages.
                  But I don’t want a huge tach I want something small that fits on the a pillar like a 2 1/16”

Comment

Gadget explained that a bit. Curb idle means the base idle without any modifiers like the old high idle cam or the IAC. Just the throttle sitting open on the base idle screw.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      Gadget explained that a bit. Curb idle means the base idle without any modifiers like the old high idle cam or the IAC. Just the throttle sitting open on the base idle screw.
                      I’ll check on that. getting out from work and its still stalling on freeway 🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏼*♂️ It only did it once i guess its a improvement

Comment

This won't help with that.

Can you restart it immediately ?
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          This won't help with that.

Can you restart it immediately ?
                          Yeah i put it in neutral and turn on sometimes it takes 2 key turns sometimes just one time. Or sometimes i exit freeway then come to stop and turn on. But it always turns on.

Comment

So I checked for code again key on engine off 11 10 18 and 22 pop up in that order
                            Key on engine running
                            So if 94 and 44 are smog pump I guess I have to look up the other codes then
                            Last edited by Elias; 03-24-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Also I ordered these brake pedals like brown blob there coming Tuesday i cant wait
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sweet. Nice find on the pedal bezels. It is a nice subtle touch.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X