PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 88 mgm

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Have you cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner?

This will not fix the remaining codes.
    No I haven’t cleaned it yet i did clean out the egr. I will be doing the tb and iac after work.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If the smog pump is gone, 44 and 94 will not go away. If the pump is there, fair chance the passages in the back of the head are clogged, or the vacuum stuff that actually turns the pump on and off are not working. If all of it actually works and the passages are not clogged, it means the O2 sensors aren't working properly.

Code 34 you can poke a voltmeter into the EGR position sensor to see whats going on. Read from EVP to SIGRTN, not sure what the colors are without digging up a manual

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page35.html

If the valve is definitely closed, see what the voltage output is. File the end of the EVP if its slightly off. If its way off, replace the position sensor and check again.

an egr valve hanging open will cause you idle problems, so might be worth pulling that off for a check while you're in there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    If the smog pump is gone, 44 and 94 will not go away. If the pump is there, fair chance the passages in the back of the head are clogged, or the vacuum stuff that actually turns the pump on and off are not working. If all of it actually works and the passages are not clogged, it means the O2 sensors aren't working properly.

Code 34 you can poke a voltmeter into the EGR position sensor to see whats going on. Read from EVP to SIGRTN, not sure what the colors are without digging up a manual

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page35.html

If the valve is definitely closed, see what the voltage output is. File the end of the EVP if its slightly off. If its way off, replace the position sensor and check again.

an egr valve hanging open will cause you idle problems, so might be worth pulling that off for a check while you're in there.
    I Did delete the smog but would they couse the cel to come on too. Thats the main thing that is bothering me. I want that cel off with out removing the bulb for it

Smog pump won't trip the CEL. Possible the EGR code is doing it though. Not many things actually trip that. The two times I had it happen on my Mark VII, once was an EGR problem, the other was a bad TPS. Smog pump is gone on that, no CEL.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Ill check the egr tomorrow it probably is that. Because when i connect the egr vacuum the green hose line it starts shaking alot. So I disconnected the hose and it works better.

if you have steady vacuum on the EGR line, there is something wrong. Either the reg is jammed open or the plumbing is messed up. See if the foam filter on the regulator has disintegrated and clogged the little tube that sticks up into it. The filter lives under the cap on top of the regulator, which will pop off with a screwdriver. I've also had sticky regs that needed a honk of wd40 through them to clear the dirt out so they worked right before. If none of that fixes it, replace the EVR (egr vac regulator) or just leave the egr unhooked. You'll get a code for EGR not opening but that won't set a light.

if you have steady vacuum on the EGR line, there is something wrong. Either the reg is jammed open or the plumbing is messed up. See if the foam filter on the regulator has disintegrated and clogged the little tube that sticks up into it. The filter lives under the cap on top of the regulator, which will pop off with a screwdriver. I've also had sticky regs that needed a honk of wd40 through them to clear the dirt out so they worked right before. If none of that fixes it, replace the EVR (egr vac regulator) or just leave the egr unhooked. You'll get a code for EGR not opening but that won't set a light.
    So I cleaned the tb and IAC and its still dies it runs perfect fine it’s actually is running better than it has ever ran but when im on highway (most of my driving is highway) it dies. my cumute is about a 18 minute drive to work and it dies at least 2 time on the way over there I didn’t happened until about a few days ago. Spark plugs new msd cap new rotor new coil new battery new. Im wondering if something is wrong with the fuel up or fuel filter fuel pump is original and fuel filter i haven’t been replaced in a while.

I'd be more interested in the condition of the TFI module and the connector to it along with the PIP in the dizzy. Also the fuel pump and ECA relays. If you're not losing power when it dies and it just instantly dies... it's probably not fuel related (unless it's the pump). I'd also be checking the condition of the wiring to the fuel pump and making sure the ground line is secure. I don't remember where that is tied in though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I'd be more interested in the condition of the TFI module and the connector to it along with the PIP in the dizzy. Also the fuel pump and ECA relays. If you're not losing power when it dies and it just instantly dies... it's probably not fuel related (unless it's the pump). I'd also be checking the condition of the wiring to the fuel pump and making sure the ground line is secure. I don't remember where that is tied in though.
    Sly Tfi was replaced about 6 months ago since when u helped me wire the relays I think. no not losing power all accesorios work car just dies it seams like it only does it at high speed thats why im think its fuel related since maybe it neew more fuel on highway idk

Correction it does it at low speed too

When my 88 was doing that, it was the pip (just replaced the dizzy) and another time it was the connector to the TFI coming slightly loose (zip tie to hold the release clips down flat sorted that).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

If it just shuts off while driving that does sound like an electrical problem. Could be ignition related, but you might also have a crappy fuel pump relay or ECM relay. Have you ever tried whacking those relays with a screwdriver handle to see if it stumbles? Usually if the relays are sketchy, they'll act up with percussive diagnostic methods.

Fuel problems tend to feel different, it will lose power and get weak before just shutting off. Electrical is usually more like you turned the key off.

The other thing it could be... and I know you already replaced that too... is the ignition switch. Like gadget said... percussive diagnosis (tappy tap tap) will find that as well.

If it just shuts off while driving that does sound like an electrical problem. Could be ignition related, but you might also have a crappy fuel pump relay or ECM relay. Have you ever tried whacking those relays with a screwdriver handle to see if it stumbles? Usually if the relays are sketchy, they'll act up with percussive diagnostic methods.

Fuel problems tend to feel different, it will lose power and get weak before just shutting off. Electrical is usually more like you turned the key off.
    Yeah tapped everything and nothing happened

Quote Originally Posted by Elias View Post
    Yeah tapped everything and nothing happened
    So changed the egr vac solenoid and reconnected the green egr line seems to be running like it did when removing the line. No studdering or truning of at ideal. Cleared codes again and rechecked
    And 13
    Cel is still on i hope the solenoid will fix my stalling issue

I post a lot...

Did you ever check curb idle?
    Also could the IAC be bad or not getting signal?
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

what does it show for stored codes? Check with the engine not running.

13 usually means it won't idle down far enough. Could be the throttle stop is too far open, or if its an HO throttle body, it has too large of an air bleed hole. Unplug the IAC and see what it idles at. If its over about 500 rpm and the TPS is in range, try putting your finger over the hole in the throttle body plate. If it idles down, plug the hole and see if the code 13 clears. Duct tape will serve for quick and dirty test purposes.

what does it show for stored codes? Check with the engine not running.

13 usually means it won't idle down far enough. Could be the throttle stop is too far open, or if its an HO throttle body, it has too large of an air bleed hole. Unplug the IAC and see what it idles at. If its over about 500 rpm and the TPS is in range, try putting your finger over the hole in the throttle body plate. If it idles down, plug the hole and see if the code 13 clears. Duct tape will serve for quick and dirty test purposes.
    I reset it so only thing that came up was 11 I think that system okay right but Iíll check again when i get out. So i took it to work today and it didnít turn of not once. Im hoping it was that. it does have the ho tb and ho intake
    Jaywish also not sure of what u mean bye check curb idle how is that done. Car doesnít have a tach which it need one. After I figure this stuff out. Ima get some guages
    Tach
    Voltage
    Coolant temp
    oil pressure guages.
    But I donít want a huge tach I want something small that fits on the a pillar like a 2 1/16Ē

I post a lot...

Gadget explained that a bit. Curb idle means the base idle without any modifiers like the old high idle cam or the IAC. Just the throttle sitting open on the base idle screw.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Gadget explained that a bit. Curb idle means the base idle without any modifiers like the old high idle cam or the IAC. Just the throttle sitting open on the base idle screw.
    Iíll check on that. getting out from work and its still stalling on freeway 🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏼*♂️ It only did it once i guess its a improvement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast