PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 88 mgm

I post a lot...

This won't help with that.

Can you restart it immediately ?
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    This won't help with that.

Can you restart it immediately ?
    Yeah i put it in neutral and turn on sometimes it takes 2 key turns sometimes just one time. Or sometimes i exit freeway then come to stop and turn on. But it always turns on.

So I checked for code again key on engine off 11 10 18 and 22 pop up in that order
    Key on engine running
    So if 94 and 44 are smog pump I guess I have to look up the other codes then
    Last edited by Elias; 03-24-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Also I ordered these brake pedals like brown blob there coming Tuesday i cant wait
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3DCB7469-CA81-4C0A-8A0C-AEEA12BB5AE7.jpg   96192487-AD6B-4082-8384-76D7E12FE6CB.png   B025B7AB-6A01-418F-BAC5-A5B24B13C385.png  

Sweet. Nice find on the pedal bezels. It is a nice subtle touch.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page14.html

KOEO
    11 - passes
    CM (stored, this is what you get after the KOEO)
    18 - IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded. - this is usually something fucky with the TFI, connections to the TFI, the pickup, or that other wire coming off the coil. SPOUT is the timing advance system. IDM is the ignition diag monitor, its a resistor connected to the - side of the coil. If you look at the green wire on the coil, one goes to a rubber blob. Thats the IDM connection. If the wiring at the coil is messed up, that can flake out. Also could just be the coil is randomly not sparking because of some problem with the TFI or pickup.
    22 - MAP/BP sensor out of self test range. - either you have no vacuum to the MAP, or the MAP is bad.

KOER
    21 - ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts. usually means the engine was cold when the test was run. If the engine was warmed up, the coolant temp sensor is bad.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page14.html

KOEO
    11 - passes
    CM (stored, this is what you get after the KOEO)
    18 - IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded. - this is usually something fucky with the TFI, connections to the TFI, the pickup, or that other wire coming off the coil. SPOUT is the timing advance system. IDM is the ignition diag monitor, its a resistor connected to the - side of the coil. If you look at the green wire on the coil, one goes to a rubber blob. Thats the IDM connection. If the wiring at the coil is messed up, that can flake out. Also could just be the coil is randomly not sparking because of some problem with the TFI or pickup.
    22 - MAP/BP sensor out of self test range. - either you have no vacuum to the MAP, or the MAP is bad.

KOER
    21 - ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts. usually means the engine was cold when the test was run. If the engine was warmed up, the coolant temp sensor is bad.
    Think im just going to replace the whole damm distributor. The tfi is new ill go get a replacement again see if that fixes it.

I post a lot...

Got to check or replace the other stuff gadget wrote. A slightly upgraded (hotter) coil is not a bad idea. You can go to platinum plugs that way.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Got to check or replace the other stuff gadget wrote. A slightly upgraded (hotter) coil is not a bad idea. You can go to platinum plugs that way.
    Which do you peeps recommend? I've had nothing but bad luck with aftermarket coils or caps.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

It does have platinum autolite plugs and it has a new coil form orily itís blue not sure with one it was. Itsthis one but i think ima get a new one or better one. Probably just get me one of those motorcraft ones just in case
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...-marquis?pos=1

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Which do you peeps recommend? I've had nothing but bad luck with aftermarket coils or caps.
    Same here about 2 months ago I ordered a motorcraft cap and it was complete shit from rockauto. That why I replaced ir with this msd one

I've had the best luck with the Summit brand brass terminal cap and rotor sets. And it looks like they've stopped rebranding that stuff now. This one looks good though... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8234

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

So my pedal bezels came in today and it looks really good I like them
    Still working on the stalling but its been 2 days since it hasnít stalled so idk.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB367E86-7C40-4A55-B11C-31A4820CF2C3.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	51795

Name:	58D9A6BA-B00C-49ED-9BFD-8E3F368B42A1.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	51796

Name:	C06C80BA-934C-46F1-87FE-06004FA63E53.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	51797

Okay so my next little project thatís been bothering me for the longest is the rear taillights. on my car I smoked them out a little bit when i was going to school I sanded them down then cleared them with clear and a bit of black paint. Then I installed leds so people and police wonít say anything about not seeing them at night or day. Well i liked them a little bit darker but not extremely dark but one of the bulbs is a 921 bulb instead of a 3156 bulb so at night the 921 side looks dimmer compared to the 3156. So I pulled 2 extra 3156 connectors at the jy and i will be attempting to trim the 921 out so that the bigger bulb will fit and all three light could finally be the same shade.
    Hereís a day pic of how they look not sure if yíall can tell by the pic but the light closes to the reverse are the 921

Name:	999D9860-6478-4E32-B645-877F0662D67D.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	51798

Name:	CD10F13A-0B26-4225-B11B-5DA1313FB21A.jpeg 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	51799

Name:	F6015E4C-B839-4872-ACF5-F9485E0CF143.jpeg 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	51800

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I don't think the system is smart enough to know anything that happens with the cap or plugs. It just watches the output from the pickup and the - side of the coil. If the pickup and coil pulses don't line up like it expects them to, you get faults. Crusty connections at the TFI or the SPOUT connector could also do it if its randomly losing signals to where it needs them.

also worth a question, are you using a grey TFI? There are black ones and grey ones. We need grey ones, black ones are controlled differently and will cause you trouble if mixed up.

found this, not sure if it will be of any help or not

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152575...8/26977950609/

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I don't think the system is smart enough to know anything that happens with the cap or plugs. It just watches the output from the pickup and the - side of the coil. If the pickup and coil pulses don't line up like it expects them to, you get faults. Crusty connections at the TFI or the SPOUT connector could also do it if its randomly losing signals to where it needs them.

also worth a question, are you using a grey TFI? There are black ones and grey ones. We need grey ones, black ones are controlled differently and will cause you trouble if mixed up.

found this, not sure if it will be of any help or not

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152575...8/26977950609/
    Gray motorcraft

Name:	B25B9F9B-7AA4-424B-87E1-11865FDE6C95.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	51801

I post a lot...

New or used?
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Purchased it new but it’s about 4 months old now

So its been 3 days and still no stalling. I bought a pillar guage pod from a mustang guy today it came with the guages but ima get new ones. Which do yall think would look better from all of these. I think im leanings towards the old timers white or old timers black. I really want all of them to be the same style and these are the only ones that come in 2 1/16 in a tach so I guess these are my only options. I think the white will closely match the original mgm dash cluster but should I match it or get the black. It will most likely have blue leds also since i have extra bulbs. I will be get 2 more guages for under the ash tray. Ima put tach and voltage on the a pillar and coolant and oil under the ash tray. Which do yíall think need advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C07BD1C3-8851-401E-B56A-987AFA7AAB77.jpeg   A7F760AD-5199-4AC6-96D1-01859035150A.jpeg  

Sounds like a good plan. I'd put the tach and oil pressure gauges up on the a-pillar myself and leave the volts and coolant temp down low. That's the mechanic in me talking though. If oil pressure drops out, you wanna know quick. Kinda why I made the T on the Mad Marquis to keep the idiot light active as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast