X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely the best "1985 PRESIENTIAL TOWN CAR IN THE COUNTRY"

Maybe... it is nice.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...832511403.html

WITAF is that a B-pillar interior-mounted VASE?
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

What’s a Presidential Town Car?

Looks like a garage kept good ride. 72000 miles and no rain would be quite an accomplishment.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nothing unrestored is ever better than it was then the first day it left the factory.

I'd wager to say my '88 is better

Aside from that rag top, both cars were optioned the same. This is the first time I've ever seen another black Town Car with the same color interior as mine. And to think I thought burgundy velour, blue or black would have been better back then.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Presidential is one of the assorted dealer up-trim things. It was never a factory edition. A ton of these things exist, usually with some badging and some specific options added on. This one apparently got the vase added to what otherwise appears to be a Signature with a coach roof and wire wheels. The coach roofs were also a re-fit thing, they did not leave Wixom with cloth on top, though its possible they were sent "bald" from the factory to whatever company was fitting the cloth rather than have the vinyl installed and later be removed.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Presidential is one of the assorted dealer up-trim things. It was never a factory edition. A ton of these things exist, usually with some badging and some specific options added on. This one apparently got the vase added to what otherwise appears to be a Signature with a coach roof and wire wheels. The coach roofs were also a re-fit thing, they did not leave Wixom with cloth on top, though its possible they were sent "bald" from the factory to whatever company was fitting the cloth rather than have the vinyl installed and later be removed.
            I've always wondered about that, much like I wondered how conversion vans were done. Also the reason why I don't like that coach roof. Looks good on this car though, I'll admit that. But still, no opera lights is kind of a deal breaker to me.

Comment

That roof is factory. Check out the 85 Brochure. It shows a picture of the car with the same roof and lists it as an option.

The “presidential edition” is pure BS on this one. I don’t see any goofy badges or anything like they did on the Aeros and Whales with aftermarket tops.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/North-Ame...stige-Brochure
              Last edited by tjc78; 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

It is not actually "factory" but is a factory option. Cars ordered with that roof got sent to ASC to have it installed as gadget mentioned earlier. If it wasn't installed at Wixom, it wasn't factory Ashley's '89 had that roof and sure enough, there was an ASC tag on the driver's door.

Comment

The sunroofs were the same, they might arrive at the dealer with it installed, but it wasn't fitted at the factory. Some Mark VII's did have factory sunroofs, others had ASC roofs.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gotcha, my 89 had a cloth roof and I never saw an ASC sticker.

At least these were consistent, the Aeros and Whales got all kinds of dealer junk.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

"Dealer junk." Well said haha. All of what I've seen has just been so tacky and yeah, mostly the 1993+ stuff was afflicted.

Anyway you could tell if the factory did a VII moon roof? I don't recall seeing a tag on my dad's but it sure looked factory. The aftermarket ones I've seen usually have switches which don't look right or cheap trim and such. I've seen cloth top TC's with moonroofs and the roof was flush with the top, made me wonder what it looks like under the top and between the actual roof...

Comment

ASC sticker is the biggest clue, but a motor access hatch in the back is the other. If it has a hatch, its factory. Drop the headliner for motor access is aftermarket.

Comment

Oh, dad's was factory then. As a kid I wondered what was behind that hatch.

Comment

Thats the better one. The fit and finish of the thing is generally better too. The overhead panel actually has a designed-in spot for the switch, the wiring all routes nicely, the drain hoses are long enough, etc. I have an overhead console with a sunroof switch, it was in the Conti when I got it. I swapped it for the proper 1984 one since the lights are slightly different.

Comment

Yeah I remember how nicely integrated everything was in dad's. The car stuck around long enough for me to tool around in my senior year. Dad never used it for fear it would leak but I did. I liked that there was a nice cover which would slide into the head liner, if I didn't open the moon roof I at least had that back. I don't remember his moon roof leaking but then again, that was 15 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X