X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag light code 44

1997 Lincoln town car

Airbag light code 44.

So at first, the light came on intermittently (yellow Airbag light on dash)Flash 4 times twice. and now it comes on every time I start the car.

I looked it up and it said: 44
    Primary Crash Sensor #1 - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

So I look it up and people say that it is either located on the passenger side radiator mount or under the car by the muffler. I have no clue where the location is and what is wrong. I am guessing it is not secured to the body well>?

Can anyone provide any feedback?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Could be a bad connection. iIRC they get their ground from being bolted to the car body. Could also be a bad sensor. Could be other problems but those would be the first to futz with.

When you find the sensor check the connections and its ground first before anything else.

Had one so badly rusted on a 96 F150 that it would no longer ground itself. That was at the top of the radiator support. Might have to remove a trim cover to see it.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Primary should be along the rad support somewhere. The safing sensor is the one mounted in a weird location. I don't know where that is, but its the one not near the front of the car. Crusty connection or crusty mounting point is usually the problem though. Unplug it, unmount it, clean the plug and where it bolts to, put it back together and see what you get.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Safing sensor is usually behind the driver kick panel behind all the mess of wire harnesses and crap. It's a PITA to get to. The harness for it, not so hard. Primary crash sensor should be driver side of the rad support just inside the headlight assembly IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Primary should be along the rad support somewhere. The safing sensor is the one mounted in a weird location. I don't know where that is, but its the one not near the front of the car. Crusty connection or crusty mounting point is usually the problem though. Unplug it, unmount it, clean the plug and where it bolts to, put it back together and see what you get.
          What is the safing sensor?

I thought for some reason ti was the sensor that was on the upper radiator support

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

IIRC.... The safing sensor is a crash sensor that is used as a reference for the system to compare to the actual crash sensors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The safing sensor is the one in the kick panel or wherever they put it. Its what keeps the bomb from going off in your face if you lightly bump into something. I think it looks for both sensors to trip in order to deploy the airbag.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gotcha, makes sense. But according to Code 44, it calls out sensor 1 which i gather from all this as the sensor in the passenger front end sensor

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                X