Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFI suggestions

I need a TFI for the blue car.
    The reviews @ Summit & several Mustang supply houses are dismal.
    Rockauto has them from 18 to 79 bucks.
    What brands have you guys had good experiences with?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I run junkyard take-offs and have used a couple cheapy-cheap RockAuto ones (the brand was Kem, but I think all Kem stuff has long been cleared out of inventory now)

Every time I have suspected I had a TFI-related symptom, it ended up being something else, so I have not yet had a reason to spend bigger bucks.

That being said, I do spend the 'big bucks' on computer CPU thermal paste to use when mounting them rather than the supplied stuff that comes in a little tube in the box.

My cars are stock lopos turning stock RPM, it may be that the cheap or stock modules are not so great in higher demand applications.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I've got a Motorcraft on mine, however I've used a BWD one and a Atlas brand one (BWD new, Atlas from a core distributor). I've kept the BWD and Atlas as spares, and one stays in the glove box with the tool to remove it.

I always use CPU thermal paste for mounting, even if it's overkill. I just happen to keep it on hand.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I used BWD from Oreilly in the Mad Marquis. No issues with that one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My 88 came with one marked “Wells” and it has been good since 2007 when I purchased the car. I checked the RockAuto listing and the Wells brand is no longer visibly marked Wells.

No doubt some of the negative reviews are related to other problems, and/or poor installation techniques or materials (read no thermal paste).
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post

No doubt some of the negative reviews are related to other problems, and/or poor installation techniques or materials (read no thermal paste).
            Good point!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I've had the same cheap as chips Napa no-name on my car for years now without any problems.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I went Motorcraft when I replaced mine years ago.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I find smashed boxes at yards and take those. I've never replaced one and noticed an improvement though. Like kishy said, my issues were always something else.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I buy the Motorcraft ones when I see them on sale, on habit.
                    The TFI issues were >mostly< dealt with in the 90s when Ford got baskets of them back. Heat and vibration killed them.
                    The newer ones seem to be built to withstand heat and vibration better; when I was a mechanic in 1992-1996 I saw at least one a month. I replaced the one in my 1987 F150 back in 2004, "just because they go bad a lot"...and haven't had a problem with it since. Though I still have the no-name that was in it, and that was running fine when I took it out. That's the last one I replaced.
                    I haven't seen an *actual* bad TFI module in 20 years, but habit tells me to check it first every time...

Comment

yeah... my TFI module went bad because the ECM fried and took out the TFI module at the same time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X