No announcement yet.

Idle Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAP hose connects directly to the upper intake via a barb on the underside.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

the EGR cooler lines have 2 ends. One is down on the lower manifold in the corner. The other connects to the steel pipe running under the upper manifold on the passenger side. Both need to be capped off, and if you're doing it you should seal them as close to where they connect to the engine as possible, otherwise you've still got the hose that can fail. Or just replace the hose if its working otherwise.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys. So the car seems to be running a lot smoother with the PCV connected. Who knew?! The EGR cooler lines is my next point of concern. I was watching it today as it warmed up and the leak seems to be coming from the lower hose of the EGR cooler line. First question.. Would it be enough to cap the line at the throttle body connection and zip tie the hose to the other one and leave it? It's kind of a lazy approach, but I only bring it up bexause it seems like the hose goes to upper manifold in a place where I won't be able to reach it. Also could it be something as simple as the hose not being clamped properly at the right spot. I let a guy work on my car who I probably should haver thought twice about that looking back. I'll try moving the clamp a bit durther down the hose first. Also will any cap fitting do for this line. Dies anybody know the diameter?
        @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

probably not since the hose is likely the issue. You may be able to just trim the end off the hose and re-attach it though. Pretty sure its 5/16".

The upper really needs to come off for decent access to these things.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I bypassed that on the 88 I used to have, I pulled the short hose from the lower intake and connected the long hose to the EGR spacer to the lower intake. Then used the short hose looped back on the EGR spacer to make sure there was no leaks should the gasket on the egr spacer have any issues internally. I did have to trim about an inch from the end of the long hose for some good hose to seal on the barb.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My '87 had the EGR cooler lines just hooked together with a heater fitting between the two lines. I ditched that while I had the upper intake off in favor of just looping a single line from the intake to the heater pipe. Not a fan of potential leak points if I can help it.

My Cars:
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm unsure of which route to go with the EGR line. It seems like the easier route would be to replace the hose. I don't know how comfortable i would be with the delete option as to I'm not the most familiar when it comes to mechanic-ship. I'll do some more research here to see if there's a good walk through available. I'm going to pick up a shop manual to help give me a better understanding of the car. I am so ready to drive tbe car again!
                @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

I've been running without it for years, but honestly it doesn't seem to make a load of difference installed vs not installed. Many people have problems with it leaking with larger throttle bodies and such and its just easier to make it go away in those situations. Most importantly it needs to not leak coolant, so however you accomplish that is a win.

Comment

Okay. Here's where I'm at now. So I found that the lower EGR cooler line had a nick in it near the throttle body. We were able to cut the hose a bit and reclamp it without having to replace the hose. Now there's no more coolant leak especially when it gets to temp. But I am noticing a significant drip of brownish water underneath the car near the oil pan. I touched it and smelled it and I think it's water. Any clue what may be going on there? Could it be from the earlier leaks when it spewed out coolant? Also my idle issue is still there somewhat. So the car starts up fine the 1st cold start and idles normally. I took it for a spin around the block then left it in park in the garage until it reached temp. I tried changing through the gears to see if it would idle out but it held idle well. Once I turned it off and tried to start it back up it would turn over but not hold idle. I tried to start it a third time and pressed the gas a little bit and then it held idle like normal. I tried it a few more times and it seems to be pretty consistent with the need to give it some gas until it can hold idle on its own. Any clue what's going on there? Maybe fuel filter? It was changed last year but it's been sitting with a tank full of gas for about 4 months
                    @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

could be old leaks, could be weepy freeze plugs, could be a hose or other leak. Gonna have to trace it. Pressure test will likely tell you much.

If the coolant is brown thats not a good thing

Comment

I dont know if its already been said but have you checked your coolant temperature sensor? Both cold and hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update:
                          Yes the coolant temperature sensor seems to be working okay under cold and hot conditions. The leaking coolant or water seemed to have stop now. I havrn't noticed any considerable puddles. My friend thought it might have been condensation from the car sitting dormant for so long from repairs and not running it consistently. The last issue is the idle bottoming out. I'm an initial startup, it starts up fine and runs fine with a good idle. Once it reaches operating tempurature and it is turned off anytime after that. On the next startup immediately after, it will turn ovee fine but it won't hold idle on its own. If it is given about 15-20 minutes of off time, then it goes back to an initial state where it starts and idles fine. Any clue what that might be? Thanks guys
                          @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Dirty or sticking IAC might be something to check for. Does it stay running if you keep your foot on the accelerator?

My Cars:

Comment

Good idea. It does stay running with acceleration.
                              @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                The red line should go to the vacuum tree at the back of the upper intake. It feeds the vacuum supply for the EGR, TAB, and TAD solenoids.
                                Resurrecting this thread to finish sorting out some of my vacuum woes. Does anyone have a picture of the vacuum tree Kodachrome Wolf mentioned? Here's some pictures for reference. Thanks in advance guys!
                                @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Working...
                                X