PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idle Issue?

My '87 had the EGR cooler lines just hooked together with a heater fitting between the two lines. I ditched that while I had the upper intake off in favor of just looping a single line from the intake to the heater pipe. Not a fan of potential leak points if I can help it.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Poncho

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm unsure of which route to go with the EGR line. It seems like the easier route would be to replace the hose. I don't know how comfortable i would be with the delete option as to I'm not the most familiar when it comes to mechanic-ship. I'll do some more research here to see if there's a good walk through available. I'm going to pick up a shop manual to help give me a better understanding of the car. I am so ready to drive tbe car again!
    @Ryan.Madison68

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I've been running without it for years, but honestly it doesn't seem to make a load of difference installed vs not installed. Many people have problems with it leaking with larger throttle bodies and such and its just easier to make it go away in those situations. Most importantly it needs to not leak coolant, so however you accomplish that is a win.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Poncho

Okay. Here's where I'm at now. So I found that the lower EGR cooler line had a nick in it near the throttle body. We were able to cut the hose a bit and reclamp it without having to replace the hose. Now there's no more coolant leak especially when it gets to temp. But I am noticing a significant drip of brownish water underneath the car near the oil pan. I touched it and smelled it and I think it's water. Any clue what may be going on there? Could it be from the earlier leaks when it spewed out coolant? Also my idle issue is still there somewhat. So the car starts up fine the 1st cold start and idles normally. I took it for a spin around the block then left it in park in the garage until it reached temp. I tried changing through the gears to see if it would idle out but it held idle well. Once I turned it off and tried to start it back up it would turn over but not hold idle. I tried to start it a third time and pressed the gas a little bit and then it held idle like normal. I tried it a few more times and it seems to be pretty consistent with the need to give it some gas until it can hold idle on its own. Any clue what's going on there? Maybe fuel filter? It was changed last year but it's been sitting with a tank full of gas for about 4 months
    @Ryan.Madison68

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

could be old leaks, could be weepy freeze plugs, could be a hose or other leak. Gonna have to trace it. Pressure test will likely tell you much.

If the coolant is brown thats not a good thing

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I dont know if its already been said but have you checked your coolant temperature sensor? Both cold and hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12