Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 4v swap?

Hey Gents,

First and foremost i sincerely apologize if this has been asked before, i did a quick search and didnt see anything immediate and unfortunately as im at work i need to keep this short ish.

2009 MGM LS. I have a bit of a wild idea of swapping a 4.6 out of a cobra or perhaps a crate engine into it along with the tranny. My problem is i cant seem to find any 4.6 crates online, ive found everything but actually. I can find tons of 5.0's, 351's, 302, ect. I found a few dead links to previously available 4.6's but thats it. so if there arent any being made i may need to settle and find one from a cobra... but i digress.

A. Anyone know where i can find one online, (i live in canada so would have to order it to here)

B. Anyone attempted something crazy like this before?

EDIT

I realize this is in the stock thread instead of performance, sorry mods! can you move it for me?
    Last edited by yddeh1; 03-27-2019, 12:02 PM.

You can drop in a 4v from a lincoln mark 8 too if you wanted but imo a 4v isnt worth it. You will get a little boost in power but you will lose low end torque and have to modify things to make it work, and getting an intake to work is like digging for gold...

But if you are still interested you can get a 4v from a mustang, mark 8, aviator or marauder. But remember its not plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 not plug and play. It will bolt in (barely), but will be very tight. You will need a complete engine harness and PCM and probably a tune if the trans is different than what the PCM for that 4v expects. You will need the wiring diagrams for your car and the donor harness to be able to connect your gauges, a/c, etc.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I would suggest if your going to do this buy a whole donor car not just the engine trans wires etc.
        this way you have access to everything.
        Not to mention you will know for sure the condition and mileage of the parts your getting.

As for me I would never consider a swap like this until I needed a new engine or trans but even then I would have to think twice about it because of the cost and time difference of replacing your engine or trans with a stock unit compared to a 4 valve.

If this car is your daily I would just keep it stock and enjoy the ride but that is just my opinion.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

You don't need engine harness or PCM. Just have to a extend a few connectors for sensors and swap the COP connectors to 4v. You will need a tune. I have 03' P71 harness and PCM with my 5.4 4v, tuned by Marty and it works just fine.

Biggest issue will likely be figuring out the throttle body since 09' is throttle by wire. I never looked into it so nor sure if there is a TBW throttle body that will fit on a 4v. Worst case swap to cable and get it tuned out.
          Last edited by Mr Bean; 03-28-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Right. Won't need all of the 4v harness, but having it with the engine will reduce the need for ordering connectors and such as it will already be there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You could probably use a tb from a gt500 but who knows if it would mount to the intake. Or if the op swapped in a mark 8 4v with intake then he could probably use a tb from the marquis or 05-10 v6 mustang but the bolt spacing I believe is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X