No announcement yet.

Detonation/pinging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's possible, it also is only a few years old and there's no visible sign of the rubber degrading
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Makes me wonder if the marks on the balancer are even correct. Might need to put a piston stop on the engine and check where TDC really is and compare it to the balancer marks.

I say that if it's not pinging and still scoots, run with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I’m going to order a piston stop and check just that, my buddy needs one for his truck that has no timing marks anyway
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

You can make a piston stop from an old spark plug, and a bolt. Just blunt the end of the bolt, knock the porcelain out of the plug and drill and tap it to the bolt thread. And be careful when rolling the engine over.

Does this car have an MCU and DS3 ignition (3 plugs, yellow strain relief cap?)

I had this same issue with my '90 P72. I did the DS2 ignition swap (2 plugs, blue strain relief, and about 1/3 the price).

Although it may be hard to find information, I am sure there are folks who have re-curved a DS distributor.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

It currently has a Petronix Ignitor II in the distributor acting as the pickup and module, the old DS3 has been long gone, and was converted to DS2 before i replaced it with pertronix.
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

oh, you're running a breaker point distributor??

and yeah, old plug, hammer, bolt, tap, easy-peasy.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No I'm running my original duraspark distributor, Pertronix makes a module for it that goes right in
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Well the timing marks on the balancer are dead on. I'm stumped. Guess i'll have to limit it to 16 degrees of timing and run 8-10 degrees of initial...
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Try midgrade.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I could, but this is an everyday driver. It wont ever be getting higher octane gas because of the higher cost, as it's already a gas sucker. That would just be for fun if i experimented. I'm going to buy an advance timing light and measure what the total advance actually is, rather than just calculate it. Something is fishy here
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I will say, the vacuum advance goes direct to the “timed” vacuum port on the Edelbrock. It’s special.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

and you did confirm that unhooking the vac advance made no change?
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Unhooking the vacuum advance at idle makes no change..however I got the dial back timing light. So with it hooked up in park at 3K RPM I get around 46-47 degrees of timing. With it unhooked I get....24! I know this isn't a WOT condition so I'm going to run a long vacuum hose into the cabin with my vacuum gauge and see if its sending vacuum to the vacuum advance. At this point my guess is YES it is...as nothing else should be influencing the 24 degrees of timing.

If this is the case, I'd be taking almost all mechanical advance out of it. This doesnt seem right at all. Perhaps I can adapt an early 70's dizzy to work with my module and tune it rather than messing around with this one.

Also I bypassed the vacuum control valves, it acted exactly the same so i do not believe they are the issue, however I will do it at WOT as well
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I'd be trying to limit the vac advance before the mechanical advance. They do make vac advance cans with limit screws, and there are advance retarders that control how much vacuum goes there. Its basically just a connector with a very small port through the middle so it pulls slower. Possible the port on the carb for advance is suitably limited, not sure.

http://grantorinosport.org/bubbaf250/perf/perf02c.html

That says they all have the adjustment, but its possible you'd need to swap your advance can to an earlier one with the adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                              X