Aftermarket radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket radio

I have a new radio to put in my 87 mgm but I see that its missing a bracket. The radio would have to float to work in the bezel lol. If I got a metra/crutchfield radio install hardware kit will it include this bracket?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003CFK...t.html?tp=3121

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the original bracket that mounted to the back of the radio with the hook end? That doesn't come with a kit. The kits only give you the faceplate part.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It’s been a long time but I think I rigged the factory bracket to work with the aftermarket radio. Another option is a block of styrofoam (AC Moore/Michaels) cut to fit.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

The stock radio had the rear bracket. You can probably make one pretty easy from some thin bar stock with pre-drilled holes in it. Like this stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2037/204225755

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

honestly my car isn't using the stock bracket at all and it works. I do have a bracket here, I should see if it makes it sit better. The dash does rattle a bit, maybe some of it is the radio.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea Im thinking of just making one or using styrofoam. I dont know what its supposed to look like but behind the bezel is just a gaping hole. The guy I bought the car from removed the stock radio and hvac panel and screwed a piece of flat aluminum in its place to mount a wot box.

Comment

here is one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Motor-...8AAOSw65FXr0rI

The functional part is basically an L bracket with a clip that hooks into that square hole in the area under the radio. Its the part where they have written what it actually fits. The "wings" sticking out from the center mount hole are for hanging the wire harness on.

Comment

Oh ok, Ill have to take a pic because I think Im missing more than that if there is more. The hole is a lot bigger than the radio, I just dont see that bracket working alone. Im thinking a single din mounting bracket with some styrofoam underneath or a custom bracket.

Comment

There should be a slot in the horizontal plate between the radio and climate controls that the bracket slots into and bolts to the back of the radio. With the radio installed, the bracket centers the rear of the radio according to where the panel slot is located.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Im sure there is but theres nothing up front to support the radio. Thats why Im thinking of buying a single din sleeve and maybe styrofoam or flat bar stock to make a bracket in the front and back. I like the styrofoam idea because its easier though lol.

Comment

Up front just requires an install kit like you posted earlier

It should be a sleeve that has four tabs that mimic what the factory radio would have.

You screw that to the dashboard in the factory radio’s screwholes then insert the new radio into that. Rig up a bracket or piece of foam to support the rear.

Check out Metra, they will have a kit that works
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Perfect thats exactly what I needed to know thanks!

Comment

metra 99-5700 is one of the kits that works. you'll have to break off the mounting tabs that get in the way though.

Comment

Just bough the kit you recommended thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X