Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this what's the scoop

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...854772395.html

I'm going to assume it rolled over, because unless theres paperwork showing it only has 24k miles. But the interior looks to be clean. Anything specific about the townies I need to know.

Of course the price is too high. (but then again everything is these damn days.)

So what do I need to know or any specific quirks?
    Last edited by DrHax; 04-01-2019, 05:49 PM.

Its not impossible, but 124k is a lot more likely. Super basic model too, just like mine. Mine did have the wire hubcaps but thats about it. This one appears to have a power passenger seat, which mine did not have.

If not for the cracks in the top it might not be too bad a price, but the top is about a grand to deal with.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Its not impossible, but 124k is a lot more likely. Super basic model too, just like mine. Mine did have the wire hubcaps but thats about it. This one appears to have a power passenger seat, which mine did not have.

If not for the cracks in the top it might not be too bad a price, but the top is about a grand to deal with.
      is there any way to repair the cracks in the top with like vinyl repair stuff? I mean how bad are those cracks? It looks like the material stretched where the front is.

Comment

The vinyl repair stuff is new vinyl. Once it cracks, it just spreads. The sun has killed it. It shrinks and gets hard and just splits apart.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think that's still in darn good shape given its age and the location. If you could knock them down a bit, that wouldn't be a terrible ride.

FWIW, I do much prefer the full vinyl roofs on those base level Town Cars vs the half roofs. Just looks cleaner up top. The tan interior is a nice touch, looks warm and inviting on that car.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The wear or lack thereof on grain on the steering wheel rim will tell you 24 vs 124+.

I’d call that a reasonable price. Not dirt cheap but if it’s 24k legit... it’s worth it most likely.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Seller contacted me. Apparently the car stalls when it idles. That sounds like anything from a vacuum leak to a messed up sensor. Wait a second? Could it be the dreaded TFI or the strator in the distributor?

*puts on thinking cap*

Either way I aint paying close to that for a car that stalls out. If it drove good I'd offer 2500 cash, but hearing this I gotta pause. So experts what could this be *logically* not.

Exact message from the seller is "Just to let you know it wants to stall when idling and might not be drivable. It hasn't been on the road in years."

*tugs on collar* Hmm this might be a nope. Unless theres a simple test I could do. I'm not dismissing the car but at the current price thats way to high for something that might not be drivable

Comment

Stalling while idling could be faulty IAC not maintaining idle speed (yet in reality assuming no one fiddled with the throttle stop screw it should still idle, just rather low). TFI failure is a complete possibility, considering it doesn't take long for it to get warm and then cause trouble.

I recall when my TFI went, it would stumble for a moment then shutoff. Restarting was not guaranteed.

I would be concerned for how long it sat. Tires and rubber components might need immediate attention, same goes for seals, otherwise it might just start leaking every fluid on you instead.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                  Stalling while idling could be faulty IAC not maintaining idle speed (yet in reality assuming no one fiddled with the throttle stop screw it should still idle, just rather low). TFI failure is a complete possibility, considering it doesn't take long for it to get warm and then cause trouble.

I recall when my TFI went, it would stumble for a moment then shutoff. Restarting was not guaranteed.

I would be concerned for how long it sat. Tires and rubber components might need immediate attention, same goes for seals, otherwise it might just start leaking every fluid on you instead.
                  I can ask how long it sat for and that I am still interested in taking a look at it. I still am this might turn to be something easy to fix. if the tires are bad I would just swap out the wheels from my crown Victoria. Frankly that was a plan anyways those 15 inch steel astro supreme clones with new tires are things I'm keeping regardless of what happens.

Comment

I asked the person they're selling it for a friend as was stated in the ad so they don't know how long its been sitting. However apparently gas gets siphoned out every year and its started once and awhile.

Hmm.

Comment

It's not that far from my house so I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. Maybe I'll take pictures and show what I see. I'll definitely be looking under the hood and listening.

Comment

I'd pass unless you could get that for $2000 max.

I like those wheel covers though, I've always thought the wire ones are just ugly, no matter what car they came on.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          I'd pass unless you could get that for $2000 max.

I like those wheel covers though, I've always thought the wire ones are just ugly, no matter what car they came on.
                          I'd never pay the asking price for a car that isn't running and driving. Frankly especially in this case. But it turns out to be something I could get the car cheap for and it seems to be in very good condition. I could enjoy a mob car. This more of a curiosity then I *Must have now* type of thing.

Comment

I recently went down to Ohio to look at an '89 V6 T-bird (Yeah, they were all V6's in '89..) Ran like poo when cold and had a misfire at idle. The trans started in 2nd when cold too. 100k miles (for whatever that's worth) and the paint was still in great shape as well as the interior. It had crusty lower fenders, passenger rocker had a hole in it, driver's wasn't far behind and the rear wheel lips were rusting too. Asking was $2,500 and before I went to look at it, I was led to believe it was rust free and there were no issues with the trans. Someone already did amateur mechanic hour on it by replacing the coil, cap, rotor and plugs. Anyway, I offered $1,200 for that pile and the fat old pos wouldn't take it. Said it would be worth $11,000 in perfect shape. LMFAO.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Never hurts to look if it's close to you. Who knows, guy might drop the price a bit more than expected once you're there in person.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X