Cold stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold stall

Hello I own a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 4.6 l engine I've noticed a cold stall on start up when I put it in reverse or drive. I put several parts in this car a mass airflow sensor cured the startup problem when it didn't want to start up initially then I put in a new IAC valve a new EGR valve new oxygen sensors upstream which was causing a computer light to come on that cured that and I tuned it up with some new spark plugs and wires they were very old and carbonized and a new battery too because the old one was starting to crank very slow but I still have this issue of cold stall when put in gear is this now fuel-related any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. thank you

First thing i would search for is vacuum leaks. With the car idling, spray starting fluid near various vacuum hoses/intake mating surfaces, etc. If you hear the idle change, you're close to the source of your leak. Also make sure your plugs are gapped correctly.

Comment

The elbow at the PCV valve is a common leak point on these. It cracks.

Ever used MAF cleaner to wash off the sensor? Sometimes they need cleaning. Does it generate any other codes?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

MAF is new and no, no codes

Comment

Yeah... if the PCV valve is original, that should probably be changed. Also, check the throttle body for excessive carbon buildup. If the air filter is dirty, that could be an issue as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Are there 2 pcv valves? I see 1 on both valve covers. One a small one and one a bigger one.

Comment

One is just an adapter for the hose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

For future searchers, it looks like a faulty new MAF was the issue: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...talling-solved
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                X