Car slows for a split second every 3 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car slows for a split second every 3 seconds

I'm not sure what is going on... I have noticed this for a while now, but it seems to be getting a little worse. I notice it most at 45mph and above. Approx every 3 seconds my 1989 GM seems to slow for a split second... almost like the brakes are applied for just a split second. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this before. Also, it seems to be the same whether I am in OD or not.
    Also, I don't have internet at my house anymore (Provider (Cricket) trying to make me upgrade my phone, which I won't do) so It will be a few days in between checking messages.
    Thanks in advance.
    Eeic

do you have the AC or defrost turned on? Sounds like the AC compressor engaging and disengaging because its either low on refrigerant or its just not warm enough. Turn the climate control completely off and see if it stops.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      do you have the AC or defrost turned on? Sounds like the AC compressor engaging and disengaging because its either low on refrigerant or its just not warm enough. Turn the climate control completely off and see if it stops.
      I will +1 this. My 84 cycles the low pressure switch and when you get those extra ponies back for a few seconds, you notice it.

Another possibility, though it may seem unlikely, is sticking brake calipers, but you would have a pull that went to one or both sides alternately. I drove my 83 with sticking calipers (which eventually resulted in a grease fire on the ball joint) and after they got pretty hot they would pulse. It's worth checking if you aren't using an AC mode at the time it happens.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

LoL I will x3 this!

Reminds me when we were driving through Florida the first time and I felt what seemed to be a jerking or tug at the back of the car every few minutes or so. Kinda felt like a misfire and I was about to start freaking out when I just decided to turn the A/C off. Jerking went away and I deduced it was the A/C compressor engaging. Wow.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Thanks! That just might be it... The AC was not on, and everything was in the off position, but the fan selector was on Auto. I remember hearing a funny noise the last time I had the hood open and the AC compressor was definitely the culprit... I can't exactly recall the sound, but it did not sound proper, lol... sounded like ball bearings rattling around from what I can remember. The AC worked when I bought it, but that was over 6 months ago now and a lot can happen in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
            I will +1 this. My 84 cycles the low pressure switch and when you get those extra ponies back for a few seconds, you notice it.

Another possibility, though it may seem unlikely, is sticking brake calipers, but you would have a pull that went to one or both sides alternately. I drove my 83 with sticking calipers (which eventually resulted in a grease fire on the ball joint) and after they got pretty hot they would pulse. It's worth checking if you aren't using an AC mode at the time it happens.
            I was kind of thinking this as well as my rotors definitely are slightly warped, but the AC compressor will be the 1st thing I check.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              LoL I will x3 this!

Reminds me when we were driving through Florida the first time and I felt what seemed to be a jerking or tug at the back of the car every few minutes or so. Kinda felt like a misfire and I was about to start freaking out when I just decided to turn the A/C off. Jerking went away and I deduced it was the A/C compressor engaging. Wow.
              It has been windy, so I kind of ignored it myself, but I started paying attention and it was happening at regular intervals, and I was getting a little concerned myself... I was worried it was a transmission problem.

Comment

Working...
              X