No announcement yet.

1964 Mercury Comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing about floor replacement: no one really sees your work so it's doesn't need to be pretty! Good place to learn to weld up some panels. Bad news is it still takes time.

I've seen more ancient bias tires holding up in storage conditions than they modern counterparts. They are tough. Wouldn't want to drive on them.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

There was a time when people searching for classical tires in the EU had to use the NOS ones. I recall some cars driving a 25-year old set of tyres, brand new.
      We had a single, old Pirelli tyre used as a spare in my Passat, it was app. 20 years old, and still alive. I have finally switched it to be used with the craptrailer, and it died torn to shreds after one not particularly well carried out manoeuvrer.

Comment

Awesome that floor pan pieces are available if you choose to get them. Id say it needs some kinda fix.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have some 14” wheel covers if you are interested. Just pay shipping

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
            I have some 14” wheel covers if you are interested. Just pay shipping
            I actually do have the full set of hubcaps for the car, they're just in trunk at the moment. I popped them off for the time being since 1.) the valve stems are too short to clear the hole in the cover and I needed to add air, and 2.) I need to take the wheels off anyway and begin inspecting the brake system.

I do appreciate the offer though.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
              I actually do have the full set of hubcaps for the car, they're just in trunk at the moment. I popped them off for the time being since 1.) the valve stems are too short to clear the hole in the cover and I needed to add air, and 2.) I need to take the wheels off anyway and begin inspecting the brake system.

I do appreciate the offer though.
              Cool

Comment

Oh, it's been over a year since this dropped into my mom's garage? Well I can tell you virtually nothing has been done since then.

I went by her house today since I told her I'd stop by and clean the garage for her. That also meant I needed to move the Comet out so I could get things organized or discarded on its side of the garage. The starter is the real OG given it's done much of the movement operations for this poor thing over the last few year.

Still low priority on the work list:

It did get a quick bath with actual detergent and an old sponge I needed to toss out.

Back in its spot out of the weather until real work commences in the near-ish(?) future:

I need to get the truck done first since it offers the most practical utility for its exact purpose of existence: hauling stuff. From there I think I'll turn my attention finally to this. I think I'll work in a dumb fashion and get the seats out first and fix the flooring, then mechanical. I don't think the rear floorboard is as bad as the front after whacking on stuff today for "science". When I was washing it, I could see where the water used to pour in during the rain on the front floorboard, and why it made the passenger side floor so much worse.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I remember the first time I saw a car moving by just the starter motor. It was an unforgettable experience. Still remember my buddy shouting, "Only do this if you NEVER want to use the starter again!"
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Gotta LOVE those older cars. They can sit, for many decades and with a little work you can still get them to run. My guess is, with newer cars, that won't happen!
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                      Gotta LOVE those older cars. They can sit, for many decades and with a little work you can still get them to run. My guess is, with newer cars, that won't happen!
                      This is why "Will it start?" videos on YouTube no longer appeal to me. Unless of course they're talking about something from the EFI era and if they plan on keeping it that way. Provided no actual engine damage anything with a carburetor will run again.

Comment

Yeah, I'm - of course it will start, just got to put some tlc into it.

Comment

The "will it start" is a bit underwhelming, I more appreciate the "it sat forever, can we drive it several hundred miles without it or us dying" vids a lot more. Making something start is easy, making it run and drive well enough to actually do a couple hours at highway speeds is more of a challenge.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, that's why I started getting into Vice Grip Garage. But when you pointed out his over use of his made up terms like "Spark-o-later" its now something I can't overlook. I still watch some times, but it gets a bit annoying. Diesel Creek has some cool videos of ancient heavy equipment that he got going, those are entertaining. Jonathan W. as well. Before his channel became overrun with boilers and steam stuff, he resurrected an old Unit crane with plants growing out of it. Pretty cool as once he got it going, he soon found out why it was left there. I think he now uses that crane regularly.

Comment

There's a guy whose channel I've been watching a lot at work when I'm not too busy called "Watch Wes Work". The guy runs a rural auto repair shop in NW Illinois and handles everything from modern compact cars and trucks, to older OBD-I stuff, to garbage trucks. He doesn't do the "will it start?" thing, but his videos are great with a lot of good tricks of the trade, troubleshooting work, and no annoying graphics or intro/outro effects or music.
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

His channel comes up amidst suggestions, but because of his handle, I refuse to watch Wes work. Makes Derek feel lazy for watching someone else work while he sits on ass. Eric O. on South Main Auto is the ticket- no ego and there's just about nothing he can't or hasn't fixed. Worked on some OBDI stuff, but no videos about resurrecting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X