1964 Mercury Comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    His channel comes up amidst suggestions, but because of his handle, I refuse to watch Wes work. Makes Derek feel lazy for watching someone else work while he sits on ass. Eric O. on South Main Auto is the ticket- no ego and there's just about nothing he can't or hasn't fixed. Worked on some OBDI stuff, but no videos about resurrecting stuff.
    I haven't watched that channel, but Eric and Wes seem to know each other and Wes mentions his channel on a few of his videos.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I made fun of Jonathan W's channel for quite a while before I warmed up to him. Another good one is Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics, Ivan is a wizard. Worked on a few GMT400's and at least one 1992-1996 F150 from what I've seen. Any time he's got a video up with an old car I watch it. Well, I actually don't watch very much on YouTube any more since I don't have premium. The only channels I can watch without having to have the mute button ready for crappy ads are Police Activity and Video Leak Police or whatever.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

browser plugins:
        adblock plus
        ublock origin

If on mobile, you can use ublock on firefox mobile browser.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^but not both at the same time.
          I prefer ublock origin (I used to use adblock). Works like a champ and covers a lot of bases in one plugin. The only youtube ads are on peoples work computers who are scared to install it on their work computer.

Comment

I love this car. I know you will do a great job with it

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              ^but not both at the same time.
              I prefer ublock origin (I used to use adblock). Works like a champ and covers a lot of bases in one plugin. The only youtube ads are on peoples work computers who are scared to install it on their work computer.
              Yes... pick your favorite plugin and use just that one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

On my home laptop, I've been using a browser called Brave. Functionally, it's exactly like Chrome, but without any of the tracking. It also has a built-in ad blocker. Unfortunately, I can't do anything to my work computer without admin rights. Of which I have none.

Sorry for the hijack.

That Comet looks like a solid foundation for a build. Part of me wishes I had something more interesting to build such as that other than the '66 Mustang I have.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                  I love this car. I know you will do a great job with it
                  I certainly hope.

I could see this as a fun little cruiser, but I've got to chip away at it bit by bit. Like I said before, I definitely need to finish the truck first since its closest (and more practical) vehicle to complete. If I can get the truck done by the end of the year, I'll see if I can convince my friend's uncle to let me swap the truck with the Comet so we can have access to a lift.

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                  On my home laptop, I've been using a browser called Brave. Functionally, it's exactly like Chrome, but without any of the tracking. It also has a built-in ad blocker. Unfortunately, I can't do anything to my work computer without admin rights. Of which I have none.

Sorry for the hijack.

That Comet looks like a solid foundation for a build. Part of me wishes I had something more interesting to build such as that other than the '66 Mustang I have.
                  Adblockers FTW! I use them on PC and mobile. Bump ads; no worry about the thread jack.

This car is reasonably solid except for the front floors. Washing it showed exactly where the water came through, and why the passenger side got it so much worse than the driver's side. Water just very easily poured in through the gap where the gasket used to somewhat exist.

I've had a wild haired idea cutting out the rustiest bits of the floor pan, applying rust treatment, and actually just remaking it mostly out of license plates unless anyone would disagree. I've only considered it given the general condition of this car in the fact I doubt it'll ever be a Concours level restoration.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Floor pans were the first major thing I did on my Rustang. Gave me a chance to practice fitting and welding a patch where basically no one sees it. I'd recommend buying the patch panels for the floors (if they make them for the Comet), and giving it a go.

Both my 88 wagon and 74 pickup have floors made of scrap metal, pop rivets, and tar. It kind of works but I think you'll be happier with real patches.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yeah, my bet is you would be much happier (but poorer) by getting aftermarket pans. Might want to check this out: https://www.autokrafters.com/Mercury...82-46-45r.aspx
                      Last edited by friskyfrankie; 09-09-2022, 10:52 PM.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                        Yeah, my bet is you would be much happier (but poorer) by getting aftermarket pans. Might want to check this out: https://www.autokrafters.com/Mercury...82-46-45r.aspx
                        Arguably $200 (before shipping) really isn't that bad for repro floor pans. I've looked at their site before. Probably best course of action is to get the front bench out, and finish removing the flooring material and seeing the condition of the rear floor pans. The bench area is solid, and the rear floor seems to have held up, but arguably the car needs gutted first to determine how much floor needs to be sectioned out for repair.

All in due time though. At least there's still aftermarket support for this stuff. The other fun specific part I know I'll have to order up at some point will be the gas tank. Specific to Comet compared to the Falcon for this year because the trunk is longer, so it costs a bit more. Oh well, that's the way it is.

My Cars:
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Have you found a gas tank yet? If so, what does it cost? If not, let's try to find one. LOVE to see these old cars back on the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                            Have you found a gas tank yet? If so, what does it cost? If not, let's try to find one. LOVE to see these old cars back on the road!!
                            Yeah, there's a Comet repro site that has them for roughly $300 a unit.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              Yeah, there's a Comet repro site that has them for roughly $300 a unit.
                              May want to check in with CJ Pony Parts. They usually are not cheap but they do have that part for about $225. Didn't check on shipping for it so may be about what you quoted. Other than them, the prices seem to be all over the map!

Comment

the other thing with using flat sheet stock is it tends to flex a lot. The stock floors usually have ribs and bends to keep that from happening. Trying to match flat metal to the curves isn't fun, be easier to get the donor pans and cut and splice as appropriate.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X