Fuel System Purge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel System Purge

If I wanted to purge my lines; should I put the ignition in KOEO (key-on engine-off) a bunch of times until fuel comes out of the line? The reason for this is because my project has been sitting for 2 years (since I installed the fuel lines) and I don't know if I have condensation in there or not. I capped off the lines in the engine compartment, and taped them up. My gas tank was taped up because I couldn't get the inlet pipe through the rubber gasket (super tight) and I forgot about it.

When you turn the key on i believe fuel will pump until the pressure valve says stop or the key is turned off. It is not like a mechanical pump which runs off engine rotation. So if you uncap the line fuel or whatever, will eject under some pressure if the pump is activated. Best to do with two people if possible.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

EFI boxes use a return style system... just KOEO about 3-5 times and that should prime it. No need to disconnect anything.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My apologies; I wasn't specific. The engine bay is engineless; I'm preparing for the time when the engine goes back in. Right now, the fuel system is in place and terminates in the engine bay. Been like that for 2 years; just want to push any accumulated water (if any) from the system before the 1st start-up.

Comment

There is an easier way

Ground the fuel pump connection. Turn the key on and the pump will run constant until you turn the key off.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just a thought: if your system was empty, there's probably not enough water to reach the pump in the tank, and any water in the lines probably won't run out all that well.
            I'd flush the lines back by disconnecting the fuel filter outlet and blasting compressed air from the engine bay back to the filter fitting (preferably air that's been through a water separator).
            When you go to fuel up, add a bottle of "gas line antifreeze" and use a new fuel filter for the first tank; then purge as described above right before you hook the fuel lines up to the engine (or disconnect the fuel rail if you have the engine in before the fuel) and dump the first few ounces into a bottle.

Comment

I will definitely do that. Everything was replaced 2 years ago. The fuel lines were very crusty and pulled apart with no effort in a couple spots. I had a lot of leftover line from the fuel system upgrade for Putter Project; so I used all of that and got an aftermarket filter and regulator. I will disconnect from the filter and blow out the lines again (did that when I initially installed everything).

Comment

Working...
              X