Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching from red/amber Civilian tail lights to the solid red P71 lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from red/amber Civilian tail lights to the solid red P71 lights?

I have a 98 Crown Vic LX that has the red and amber tail lights. I am trying to convert them to the solid red lights that the P71 came with. I have the lights and I see that the newer lights only have three wires (orange, brown and black) but my old ones have four wires (orange, brown, black and green). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the tail lights in these cars? Or has anyone done this modification?

Typically the all red lights have the brake light feed broken at the MFS for the blinker. I’m sure someone with the correct year EVTM can chime in, since something tells me the brake light feed might not go through the MFS on an amber signal car.

If you just wanted all red and didn’t want the upper housing to blink, just the lower, the later all red housings still have the compartment there, just no holes for the bulbs. If you cut the holes, you could put the bulbs in there. I’m not sure how badly washed out it would look with the brakes applied though.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Typically the all red lights have the brake light feed broken at the MFS for the blinker. I’m sure someone with the correct year EVTM can chime in, since something tells me the brake light feed might not go through the MFS on an amber signal car.

If you just wanted all red and didn’t want the upper housing to blink, just the lower, the later all red housings still have the compartment there, just no holes for the bulbs. If you cut the holes, you could put the bulbs in there. I’m not sure how badly washed out it would look with the brakes applied though.
      I wonder if I can separate the lens... I might end up breaking stuff. Lol, or I could just go ahead and tint my current lights.

Comment

Those lenses are pretty rare. If I ever went whale, I'd want the amber & red meself.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I can’t speak for a Whale specifically, but I did a similar conversion in my Ranger using a spare taillight harness and a trailer light converter. Looks like Hopkins 40504 or something similar would work if that’s the route you chose.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
          X