Go fast mustang parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go fast mustang parts

I have a new to me 1989 mercury grand marquis and im aware of some mustang parts fit our cars to enhance perfomance but cant get straight answer's. Headers, h-pipes etc... will long tube headers for mustangs fit without cutting?
    Does anyone have a list of the parts and the year mustang I should look for, or point me in the right direction
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacomasigpic

No long tubes. None. Zero. Zilch. Shorties (unequal length) will almost always fit. The down pipes may need trimming to keep from bottoming out on over speed bumps. H pipes fit... sorta. They may require some bending to get into position just right, but most the time this isn't needed. Tailpipes - NO. Most people get Impala SS (90s b-bodies) pipes if they want something "off-the-shelf" that they can just throw on that's larger than stock. I think that's the basic setup. Throw on your preferred mufflers and cats (if not already on the down pipes unless you plan to run without) and you're done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

long tube headers from a mustang will not fit.

unequal length shorty headers fit.

the best engine to use on a budget is a 96-01 explorer or mountaineer 5.0

the dynomax impala ss tailpipes are obsolete now. i only see the one tailpipe for sale now.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Instead of going the full length can I just add headers and something like glasspacks instead of cats and keep the rest stock pipe?

Comment

Do you have duals already?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Im all stock. Just got it before winter and ive just replaced the tranny, put american racing wheels on it, cleaned it up real nice now i want to go faster and sound better, on a budget

Comment

Check out http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...s-Tips-and-FAQ if you haven’t already.

Heavy car and a pushrod 302 will never be “fast” naturally aspirated. But it can be peppy.

On the cheap, keep the stock manifolds and cats if not clogged, and add turndowns after the cats if legal. There’s the sound! Headers not needed until you get past the lo-po stage IMO.

Swap in a 3.73 gear and a traction lock. You might need to get someone to set it up for you, although it can be done yourself. Junkyard 4.0 Rangers are good gear donors. Faster off the line, let the low end torque shine.

If you have money leftover and your short block is sound, do a MAF conversion with GT40 heads (or better) and a reasonable cam and some Fox shorty headers.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Honestly there are not miracles to be had with headers. You'd get more from stock dual exhaust than putting headers on the single exhaust.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know about you cars overall condition. If it is in really good no rust condition you may consider a custom dual stainless system as an investment. A used set of stock mustang/Mark headers or a shorty unequal aftermarket set with new cats and used stainless mufflers makes for a very nice setup. 2.25" is plenty unless you are going really big horsepower.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Would any of this work? Someones selling it.

87 engine and t5 transmission with harness and computer and short headers 202xxx kms
                    $900

87 block with stock pistons heads valve covers intake and oil pan
                    $200

E7 heads with big valves. Needs to be cleaned from improper storage
                    Chrome valve covers and oil pan
                    2cat h pipe magna flow mufflers with tail pipes. Pedals and clutch cable And electric fan. New arp head-studs and Edelbrock timing chain.

Comment

Anything can be made to work with enough time, money, and fabrication.

That said... E7 heads are what come on 87-92? mustangs and are not that big of an upgrade from the e6 heads you have on a stock 89.

I would suggest changing rear gears to 3.55 or 3.73 with a limited slip carrier (28 spline) and see how you like that. It will make the car seem very quick around town, though it'll still feel anemic on the highway. A Ford Explorer v8 from 96-2001 would be a better swap for a straight 302 upgrade. Put upgraded valve springs on it and stock mustang shorty headers. If you want a wider range of exhaust header options, use 96-97.5 gt40 (non-p) Explorer heads. If you swap the engine, it'll change the firing order and will require a different engine computer and perhaps going mass air to tune it.

If you just want the car to feel more fun and be louder... put some high flow cats on it and replace the mufflers with some resonators (or thin glass packs).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If they're not ported and such to flow better, its very much a "meh" upgrade. Lot of work for not a lot of results. Explorer heads are about the best factory head around, but as with all things spending more gets you more. By the time you get a set of stock heads rebuilt, you're probably not into it for a whole lot less than better heads cost.

87 stuff is speed-density, so the ECM is of limited value if you want anything beyond a dead stock engine. The manual ECM also has some difference with the neutral safety switch wiring. I forget particulars but it doesn't work exactly right on an auto car. Also there is less initial timing so the performance sucks more than an auto ECM will in an auto car.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Jegs sells a cat back for the Impala SS for about $300. 2.5 inch mandrel bent. Had one on my 89 Town car. getting one for the Two door soon. Factory rear duel pipes are still available. 2.25 inch.

Tim
                          2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                          84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                          85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                          89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                          89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                          1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                          2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Thanks for the info. Good to know. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30410/10002/-1

They have some other nice pricey options as well that may work out: https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X