Fuel level sender removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the lock ring off but the thing wont budge. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gasket is probably cemented to it... If you can't see any gasket, someone probably glued the damn thing on and you may be SOL. The gasket should be a square rubber ring about 3/16 to 1/4 thick. If all you see is metal on metal... some previous work was crap. If you can see the gasket, you might be able to get a razor bent and use that to slice through the gasket to release it then glean up the surfaces and replace the gasket. Otherwise, you may be out of luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dang, yeah I can’t see a gasket. I thought about just buying a new tank and starting anew but now I think I’ll have to if its easier. Or I’ll try dropping this tank a little. Im working on my back with the car on the ground lol so its not easy. Otherwise it’ll be on the back burner for a while. The good news is that it runs but it idles a little rough and is running super rich. As far as I can see everything is back to where it should be and the o2 sensors are brand new. The cats were glowing red after a few minutes.

Comment

To wrap this up I ended up using a flat head and gently prying on the gasket and it popped right off! I took the sending unit out (it was disgusting looking too) and was unsurprised to see the float did in fact have a good amount of fuel in it. I swapped in a float for a fox mustang, which was exactly the same if anyone needs a new one. Hopefully that was the issue, the battery is dead or else Id test it out.

Comment

I actually looked up the part recently, and the 80-89 manual says "all" with the float part number, so literally every car Ford made from 1980-1989 uses that same float. Its a part number from the 60s if I remember right.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm makes sense, its such a universal part you might as well use it across the entire lineup. I remember reading a thread on I think cvn a while back where someone said that even an old Mopar float was the same, or at least would fit.

Comment

Working...
            X