PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Fault code scan

n00b

Default Fault code scan

Hi,

Im new here and not familiar with US cars at all. I have some experience with European cars and them all have quwitr good and detailed special program's to diagnose fault codes and look at live data. Lincoln TC '04 will be my first car and I have some questions:
    1. Us there any similar diagnosis tools /program's?
    2. Does any obd2 code reader will work?

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

with scan tools you get what you pay for the cheap scanners will allow you to read codes spend more and you will get more data capabilities.
    if we know your budget many people here can help with what they feel will give you the best value for your money.
    2000 MGM LS Palm Beach Edition a work in progress

The cheap way out to get access to all codes for diagnostics is with a smartphone and a bluetooth OBD-II reader. There's apps that allow accessing body modules too. OBD Fusion is one of those. I have used it with my 03 Expedition when I have door ajar issues. The specific year and model add-on cost $13 (as much as the cheap OBD-II reader), but it was worth it. All in on that (other than the cost of the android phone) I think it was $30.

Bluetooth OBD-II: https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet...dp/B00PJPHEBO/
    App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ions.TouchScan
    Model specific add-on is an in-app purchase.

You can also use ForScan on a laptop with a USB OBD-II adapter
    My setup uses OBDLink SX: https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx/ (adapter only, no add-ons)
    Forscan: https://forscan.org/home.html (free for Windows PCs)
    Last edited by sly; 04-16-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I post a lot...

And yes any obd2 code reader will provide the basic information. Well not 100% sure euro readers are the same as US but I believe they are.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

n00b

Wow - great and fast replies. Thanks. I will try this wireless /android app option. As android phone I have already. And I hope, the car is so reliable, that most of the time scanner will lie in the shelf