Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Marquis Headlights Shorting?

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 92 grand marquis. I have an issue that occurs completely randomly where when using the pull-out switch that controls the exterior lights, the headlights taillights, and dash lights all flicker brighter and dimmer fairly rapidly. This is accompanied by a clicking noise coming from behind the radio. For the record this clicking noise happens anytime you turn the exterior lights on or off.

There is an after market switch that was wired to the low beam headlamps by a previous owner probably as a backup. This switch works reliably and never flickers. Unfortunately I still have to pull the factory knob to have tail lights, and this can cause the flickering.

I feel like I am up against a short here. The last time I had the issue the circuit starting clicking on and off so fast the engine stuttered. Any recommendations on where or what to examine to replace wiring/switch?

Just to clarify, the factory knob also controls the interior lights and the running lights. The issue only occurs when I have the low beams/taillights on.

I prefer to do my own maintenance. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    HawkerFury
    —1992 Grand Marquis GS
    Student Pilot

Also, I thought I might mention that you have to have the switch in just the right position to get the exterior lights to turn on, you can’t simply pull it out. This could point to a bad switch, but could this really affect engine performance?
    HawkerFury
    —1992 Grand Marquis GS
    Student Pilot

Comment

Yeah... sounds like a bad switch... and possibly some weird wiring shenanigans by the PO. And yes, electrical noise that would be caused by the back and forth electrical draw would affect engine stability. Sounds like the circuit breaker is fighting a flaky contact in the switch. I'd replace the switch first... verify the wire harness is still good (can be melted/burnt), and contemplate the headlight relay mod.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
        HawkerFury
        —1992 Grand Marquis GS
        Student Pilot

Comment

There is an auto-lamp relay for the headlamps somewhere near the radio. Guessing that is what you hear clicking if you have the automatic lights.

Pull the switch and check it for melted terminals. Sounds like the switch or a connection has failed.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think on the aeros, the autolamp relay is under the dash near the light sensor. At least it is on my 93. Absolute bugger to get at too IIRC. Though 92 was a weird year.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X