Vacuum lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum lines

First and foremost, where does the black vacuum line that comes through the firewall by the gas pedal go? Im assuming its the one for the blend door but I cant for the life of me figure out where it goes.

Also where does the soup can connect to? I have a capped off port on the 3 way check valve by the brake booster but looking at pictures it looks like it doesnt go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's for the parking brake release. It goes to the horseshoe (half moon) shaped valve near the firewall around the steering shaft and there should be a white one going from that to the parking brake release vacuum actuator. The one for the HVAC comes in a different spot that's much higher and more centered on the firewall.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There are two nipples on the parking brake release but only one was attached and this one had a plug in it. It has a check valve too. So there are two vacuum lines that go to the parking brake release? Interesting

Comment

the vacuum actuator for the brake release gets one line. The valve on the shifter shaft gets that line and the feed line from the firewall. I forgot about the check valve.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, vacuum into the valve, then vacuum out of the valve to the servo. There is also a check valve, but I forget which side that is on. Those valves leak pretty often and the typical fix is to plug the hose.

Soup can goes to the top-most thing on the vacuum tree on the firewall. Its a one-way check valve with 2 outlets. One goes to the can, the other loops inside the dash, just about dead center of the firewall.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does this look right?

Also what is this on the firewall? I remember my 85 had the same thing.

Comment

Brake release looks right, if it leaks constantly and reversing the lines doesn't fix it, the valve is bad.

Not sure which item you're referring to on the firewall, but I see the vacuum tree, the vacuum line for the HVAC, assorted wire looms, and one of the connectors for the EFI harness. If you're asking about the thing with all the vac hoses, thats the vacuum tree that was mentioned earlier.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a spare valve so Im not worried about it.

No I was referring to the vacuum line that looks cut off to the right of the antenna cable. By the way what all comes off the vacuum tree and which lines are they? I know it feeds the ac and brake booster but I forget what else. Im not near the car to take a look for myself.

Comment

That should be the one for the climate control.

Vac lines on the tree, if memory serves, are in no special order
                  brake booster
                  source from manifold
                  HVAC
                  cruise control

Comment

To be 100% clear its this line Im talking about

Also I found these pics from another thread with a little different vacuum tree setup. Is this one right and is there supposed to be a check valve with 2 lines coming off it or is it different because its a different year (Im assuming)? Disregard the blue circle, it has to do with the op of the original thread.

Comment

yep, the two outlet check valve is what connects to the HVAC and the soup can lines. Without those connected you'll have only defrost.

Comment

Ok that makes sense why Im not getting any other setting when I turn on the ac. Just ordered one today, now Ill need some of that hard plastic line.

Comment

you can use regular vacuum hose for that.

Comment

Is there a direct replacement for the small plastic hoses used on the tab/tad regulators?
                            (or whichever the oem small plastic ones that shatter goto)
                            sigpic
                            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Theres a sticky somewhere on here that has a link to somewhere that sells that hard plastic line and its oem thickness. Also you can get them in different colors too. I need to redo a lot of my vacuum system as it is since a lot of it has been hacked lol so Ill probably end up buying from that site.

Anyway, I havent had time to work on the marquis but I thought of something. My 85 had a missing vacuum line in that spot coming out of the firewall too but all the ac positions worked so Im thinking thats not the hose Im looking for. I need to look the engine bay over next time Im under the hood. And theres a small vacuum canister on the passenger wheel well liner near the tab/tad solenoids that I have no clue what its for. Ill have to look at the veci sticker next time Im under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X