my new 88 country squire project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my new 88 country squire project

I came across this recently and couldn't pass on it. The color combo, 95k, along with it being fully loaded, tow package (3.55 limited slip, dual exhaust, trans & PS cooler) Air load leveler, corner lights, cruise, tilt, PL, PW, wing windows and windshield insta clear. It's optioned exactly opposite of my CP. It was up in the Seattle area and I found someone to bring it down to CA. Now going through the process of getting it reg'd here (gotta do smog and VIN verification). It drives really nice. Only has one code 34, so I'll have to sort out the EGR and there are some small holes in the passenger side exhaust pipe. The seats and dash pad are in great shape. The wood grain on the front passenger side fender is different from the rest so something happened there in the past but it's pretty straight. And being a CS, the trim around the di-noc needs attention. Something also going on with the auto headlight switch and the tailgate window. Been saving parts over the years to do the big brake. PI rear bar, Alum drive shaft etc, but never had been motivated to do that to my CP since it was so limited on the options. We'll see how it goes with this one once I get the basics taken care of.
    Attached Files

88 Country Squire
    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Great find. Loaded to the gills for sure. I’m am guessing you have the jump seats in the rear?

You have an instaclear windshield and my 90 doesn’t even have rear defrost lol.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That's a nice wagon. Same colour combo as mine too!

Comment

Yes, it's got the rear jump seats ... another option my CP didn't have. And with little kids that's something I wanted.

88 Country Squire
        86 Colony Park, non-op'd

Comment

Neato. Good luck with it.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice wagon. Perfect colors. So you live in Mountain View Ca ? I was just up there about a month ago. Nice but expensive area. Since that car is from Washington State you want to make sure the car is tuned up and running perfect before it goes for a smog check in Ca.
            There is a 3 step engine cleaning process that used to cost about $170. The mechanic shop I used did it. It got the motor running really clean. In addition to taking it on a hour drive to get the cats nice a hot, It passed smog every time. Don't want it labeled a gross polluter. I bought my wife's TC in northern Washington State. It never had a smog check until it was registered in Ca.
            Good luck with your wagon.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately it's gotten outrageously expensive here. Most my local car buddies have either move away or gone toes up. My pathers wagons are an island in a sea of teslas. but I see some others box pathers every now and then (mostly wagons).
              I'll have to look into that cleaning process. I'll have to take care of the egr (code 34) and do a full tune up before I try to smog it. I did call the CA bar before I bought it cause it was not clear from an internet search if I could bring it into CA. Although years ago I bought a friend's 88 TC that he inheritied from his parents who lived in Texas. My friend had already gone through the process of getting it reg'd in CA. I had it a few years and never had any issues with smog until one year this tech won't pass it cause he said it's missing the check engine light. Being a 49 state car of that era it didn't have a check engine light. I didn't know any better at the time and it caused a lot of grief. That's not going to happen again. I've got the original owners manual and it's right in there. I'm already getting a bit of run around. DMV told me I need to have the VIN verfied and that they could do it or any peace office could. I didn't have the car yet but when it arrived I drove it over the Mtn Vw police dept and they told me I had to take it to the Highway Patrol office ... so it starts

88 Country Squire
              86 Colony Park, non-op'd

Comment

I remember someone else running into problems with an 88 for an inop CEL, but the car never had it functional from new. It was a late 88 with the idiot light cluster that went in the 89, but there were never wires in the harness to make that bulb do anything. I think he ultimately just ran the wires and made it work to shut them up. Wasn't CA though, oddly enough.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, highway patrol is the place to go. We had to do it with my brother's shitbox mustang he box. Converted 4-banger to v8, Mass. registration. Really not as big a deal as it's made out, although for his we had to pull the driver's side fender. Never got it lined up right again either. If the car is running half worth a shit it'll pass no problem. My current car runs way worse than the last one and passed with flying colours.

Comment

Yes DMV and CHP can do the vin verification. Make an appointment. Just have the Washington State title, bill of sale and the CA paperwork. CHP has officers that do verifications on a regular basis. Since your car is now 30 years old, last time I checked it qualifies for antique plates. After the initial smog check I don't think it needs another one. You might check on any driving restrictions on having antique plates. Some States have restrictions.
                    Yes I could not believe the number of Teslas I saw. What is it with them ? A status symbol ? We were checking out of a hotel in Orange County one day. One family had two of them. A red and blue one. One was a gull wing job. They looked at my 2019 $67K rental Suburban like I was from the projects. I wonder how many of those Teslas get repossessed every month ?

Comment

Well I finally have the wagon’s paper work transferred after more than a year. It’s been on the back burner due to family issues; my mom’s failing health and keeping my other junk running. Before I took in for smog I tuned it up with new plugs, wires, cap & rotor and an oil and coolant change. I was going to change the o2 sensors but they appeared to be newer so I left them. I cleaned the egr since I had a code 34 in memory. Took it in and it passed smog! Luckily I had done the VIN verification with the highway patrol before the covid thing shut everything down. Mailed off the paper work and two and half months later I have new plates and the title transferred. I replaced the turbine with the leaky tires with a set of HPP and good tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	emission results june 2020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1287357
                      Last edited by tikitiki65; 08-23-2020, 04:55 PM.

88 Country Squire
                      86 Colony Park, non-op'd

Comment

Good deal. Looks like it passed pretty comfortably too.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I missed this one; beautiful Country Squire!!! I never noticed the wood grain pattern on the roof rack; now I'm gonna see if other wagons have that too.

Comment

All roof racks have the Ford wood grain including the rear deflectors. I have never seen a Colony Park with matching wood grain on the rack. WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park
                            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                            X