2010 Town Car Overcharging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Town Car Overcharging.

Hey guys, it's been awhile. Finally had to retire my 89 GM, due to severe frame rot. But, in the interim, I acquired a 2010 Town Car for free from one of my customers. I work for a fleet service, and this car belonged to a limo company, that we do work for. It is a high miler (419, XXX), but runs well. Before I got it, it got new tires, and brakes, and the trans was serviced. The issue I'm having with it, is the alternator is overcharging @ 14.5 volts at an idle, and throwing the battery light on. I replaced the alternator this morning, and it's still doing the same thing. If it makes a difference, it has the Ford 135A alternator. I tried internet searches, and used the Identifix, and Mitchell repair programs we have here at work, but to no avail. Is the voltage regulator internal with the alt, or is it pcm controlled?

I would use the part number of the orignal Alternator and call your local Ford Lincoln dealer and see if the number matches to the car, the Alternator could come from a cop car and run that chargeing voltage by a Ford Service Tech to get some answers to your problem. The usual Ford chargeing Voltage is 14.2 Volts.

Comment

2010 Town Car would have a PCM controlled alternator.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Check the little plug for corrosion. 14.5v isn't overcharging.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, guys. usually work 10-12 hrs a day. Was not originally getting a code, but for some reason got a p0626 through the HVAC system (?!?!?!?), for gen overcharge, and later through the regular PCM codes. . Did find, and repaired the #32 pin terminal at the PCM. Still getting p0626. Found diagnosis chart on Identifx. When time allows, I will follow it, and see where it leads me.
          MIKE

P.S. God, I miss my 89 GM!!!

Comment

Okay guys, finally had time to track everything down. All the wiring was good, and the alternator was fine. Turns out, it's in the PCM. The previous owner came in the other day, but some work on one of his buses. I spoke with him, and it's actually had that light on for the past few years.

Comment

Working...
            X