Exterior Handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior Handles

Passenger door handle stopped working on my car. Interior door handle still seems to work. My first thought was a frozen lock actuator but to my surprise the actuator still works! All the linkages appear to be intact and nothing's bent. I noticed that lifting up the exterior handle doesn't move the linkage. I got a couple of pictures through the glass:

https://imgur.com/a/VH44uC7

The metal arm that attaches to the linkage looks like it should be engaged by the handle arm. I tried to pop it into place with a screwdriver but it just pops out again. Is there a part that's missing? If I had the rest of my tools with me I would have taken the handle out as well. Luckily I have a few spares.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Silly Lincoln's. That handle does not look like what I'm used to seeing on MGM/CVs. That failure mode is not possible on MGM/CVs. Looks to me like a new handle is needed.
    Your imgur vid, needs to be slightly up and to the right to get a better view, but I can still see the rod not moving so I think a new handle is the solution. Unless someone familiar with Lincoln handles knows of another fix.

Also, it's been a while, good to hear from you again.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

you fix it with a new handle. The tab that lifts the rod has a small bit that bends over and lays on the handle. It probably broke. Why they built it like that I don't know.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You're probably right, next thing will probably be me taking off the handle to see what went wrong. Don't know why Lincoln used the different handles. Luckily I got a few spares when I bought the car.

Thanks, it's good to be back here. I haven't wrenched on this car in a little while but I've done enough to keep it registered and inspected. Next on the list is new fuel pump and tires.

Comment

because its a Lincoln. I think those handles are off an early 70s LTD, so you can blame Ford for this ultimately.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

tack weld said "supposed to be moving bit" to "handle moving bit" so it moves the rod bit?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is some reason its not one piece. I think its so you can pull the interior handle without the exterior handle flipping open. If I remember right, Vics use a rod with a Z bend to let that happen, Lincoln use a more complicated door handle.

I think I have one of those around here somewhere if you need a picture of what it ought to look like. It happens to be the same one used on 82-87 Continentals, and someone sent me a spare he had from his.

Comment

I removed the door handle to see what was going on. Nothing a zip tie can't fix!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	848.8 KB
ID:	1285410 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.jpeg
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	1285409 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpeg
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	1285408

Door handle works again. The zip tie is nice and tight and I don't think it will slip off anytime soon.

Comment

oh, the rivet got loose. Usually what the rivet goes into breaks. Just make sure that pulling the inside lever doesn't try and lift the external with it tied down like that. For some reason I want to say it has to move freely but its been a while since I really looked at that door mechanism in any depth beyond just R&R whatever part was broken.

Comment

Just tested both handles and they seem to work alright. I'll hang onto that spare door handle as a backup.

Comment

Zip ties, is there anything they can't fix?

Comment

Working...
                      X