3.55 open / pinion seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.55 open / pinion seal

Im looking to find the correct part number for a pinion seal on my 3.55 open rear end, thanks in advance

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4676A/musta...n-seal-88-8614

Nothing special. Can use the link just for the part number then shop around for best options.

Ad says 86 because Mustangs did not come with an 8.8 rear end before that year.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

also will i be able to reuse the pinion nut?

Comment

You need a seal and a crush collar. It is a pain to correctly set pinion torque. You need to make or buy a tool to hold the flange. You might want to be prepared to inspect and change the pinion bearings
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I personally like using the spacer/shim kit in place of the crush sleeve. Both of the rears I have had built utilize the spacer.

Comment

Did not know about that option.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

SK CSF 8.8 is the part number.

Comment

IIRC I used a similar set on the wagon but the backlash was bad and I had to reshim the pinion. So the collar was a one use item and I had to switch to a standard crush. Are these also a one use?
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

You don't need to replace the crush collar if you're only doing the seal. The instructions have you check the bearing preload with a torque wrench. Forget the specs but its supposed to be something like 10-15 in/lb or so. The instructions say that if the current setting is within or greater than spec, set it back to that spec. If its lower than spec, tighten the pinion nut until preload is in spec. You need a small beam-style torque wrench for this. You'll also need a pinion holding tool, aka a piece of angle iron with holes in the right spot and a puller to get the flange off. Doesn't need to be much of a puller, but they tend to be just stuck enough to not slide off.

Did the job on my Continental with a 7.5 rear. Ford instructions make no mention of replacing the collar, so I didn't. Rear is perfectly quiet.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

16-29 in-lbs with new bearings... 8-14 on used bearings... according to Google.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sounds about right. I think I landed mine at 12. it started at like 2. The cute little torque wrench I have for this is silly looking. Its a 3/8 drive 0-30 in-lb wrench that is about as tall as the impact socket I used to actually remove the pinion nut.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Sounds about right. I think I landed mine at 12. it started at like 2. The cute little torque wrench I have for this is silly looking. Its a 3/8 drive 0-30 in-lb wrench that is about as tall as the impact socket I used to actually remove the pinion nut.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks for correcting me.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Does anyone know the torque spec for the driveshaft to pinion yoke bolts?

Comment

Here's what I found on my 93's service manual. Should be the same for all.
                              Tighten driveshaft-to-companion flange bolts to 95-130 N-m (70-95 lb-ft).

2001 says 83 pound feet... which is the center of the 70-95 range... so I'm thinking any year panther should be the same.
                              Last edited by sly; 04-28-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X