X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edges and Trim

Hi,

Questions and hypothesis.

How does one remove these aluminum pieces and then line then up correctly - without.....without cracking the anodized bit?
    (Not the rain guard rails.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3657.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1304935

The B-pillar coach light bezel with the plastic taken off = shiny metal. Hypothesis is the vinyl covered band that goes over the top of the roof is too metal under the vinyl.
    Has anyone found out?

Name:	IMG_3658.JPG
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1304936

The side window bezel is painted/textured aluminum. Hypothesis is that the paint covering can be removed with a destructing media (no pitting) then chromed or polished.
    That is the crown vic version hanging in the background.

Name:	IMG_3659.JPG
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1304937

Same goes for the reveal trim around the rear glass, and the trim that outlines the coach top c-pillar edge. Just need to get a media blaster to check. Don't want to use a reactive paint stripper. Through polishing too much years ago. Found the metal underneath, not plastic. Could end up with a cool textured metal finish.

Name:	IMG_3662.JPG
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1304939

Name:	IMG_3663.JPG
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1304940

This one shows that an 89 trunk lid fits nicely. I don't recall if the pointy corner fitted better on the original lid. But the other parts of the lid line up lines very nicely.
    Just the lock cylinder hole needs to be modified. As the mounting posts for the 89 trunk release cover exceed the limits of the 87 cylinder cover.

Name:	IMG_3660.JPG
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1304938

The paint wore off the rocker detail, underneath is...shiny metal. Hypothesis is that this too can be media blasted then polished or chromed.

Name:	IMG_3664.JPG
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1304941

Anyone know better?
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

The trim directly around the window frame is just press fit on.

Remove window channel weatherstripping and then you can gently pry from one side away from the window frame to remove it.

To line it back up better with its mates in the corners you should just be able to grab it firmly and slide it in the direction you want it to go.

I left the trim that divides the quarter panel from rear of door to rear window body color. I never experimented with removing and polishing its finish.

I picked up from a junkyard anodized rear window trim. I know the lower rear window trim is mercury specif as it matches the profile of the trunk.

Cannot comment on the other mercury specific bits either.

The rockers moldings did come polished/anodized on some models. I would imagine you can strip yours and make it shiny. Or just pick up a set of them from a junkyard.

I believe some older mercury two doors had the 1/4 window trims in anodized finish yet with the mercury styling which differs from the CV's. Maybe that is something you can find from somebody?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

After finishing from the gym, I was looking through your car thread and found your pictures from like 10 years ago. 10 years.......and I have done jack with the car. Not sure where time went. Maybe I could leave the car with you and your Dad and .... *-=> Voila <=-* a restored car.

I think you said an 89 CV for the rear window trim. Any one on this board have the paid version of "Car Part"?
      In the pic are the CV ones hanging in the background. CV type has corners and the GM has rounded-ish.

It's the type of thing, where I am just waiting for having all of the tools - now that I have a garage. Because being a DIYer my successes have ben through making mistake and arguing with mechanics who had to fix my mistakes.
      sigpic
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
      COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

79 two door grand marquis above with the anodized mercury specific 1/4 window trim.

Yes. A bulk of my work was done ten years ago. I started up hot. Things have certainly slowed down since though.

OH and the 1/4 window trim is held in with clips that kinda slide into the butyl tape that is sandwiched in between the window and body.You can gently pull up and the clip will straighten out and pull out from its seal. Alternatively you can remove the window by unbolting its support brackets from inside and then carefully slice the butyl tape away and remove the window from the inside. You can then pry the mounts for the 1/4 window trim away from the body and remove it.
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-28-2019, 05:14 AM.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
        X