Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Box folks - cross check me on these wheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box folks - cross check me on these wheels...

I put this on CVN but I figured this was more GMN-specific...

I'm thinking about new wheels for the LTD. I'm simply not a fan of the turbines.

http://www.rev-wheels.com/rev-wheel....43173&cat=1270
    ^ specifically, p/n 109MB-7806500

17x8 wheel
    5x114.3 bolt pattern
    0 offset, 4.5 backspace
    72.70 center bore

The center bore is the biggest thing that's a bit concerning, 72.70 vs. the Panther 70.6 (that didn't change for the Box era did it?), so maybe I'd have to invest in some hubcentric rings. Idunno. Whaddya think about that backspacing?

(Not interested in whether you like them - I'm solely interested in whether they can work)

I really like those wheels, and I think they will sit nicely in the wheel wells with a 235 up front and a 255 or 265 out back.
    Last edited by a_d_a_m; 04-28-2019, 03:30 AM.
    '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
    formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

You will be close in the front on the upper control arm. Close enough that I’d try it. Worse case scenario, you’ll need a spacer of 1/4” or so.

In the rear, you are good to go.

Wheels look sharp IMO.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You can use this websites info on backspacing and offset to measure up the turbines you have on hand. Unfortunately I cannot comment on center bore other than to measure your own and compare.

These wheels remind me of Mustang Mach 1 wheels of the 2000's mustang. Nice.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not sure about center-bore but otherwise they'll work fine. My wheels are 17x8, 4.5" backspace and i run 255/50/17 all-way around. Rolled the front fenders slightly as they'd get grabbed a bit going into driveways with the wheels turned hard. Adco swaybar gets a little rubbed but not bad. You should be fine and i dig those wheels. Always thought a Mag 500/Mach I-style would look good on these cars. Kinda wish i could start over. I like my wheels but have seen some i like better.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-Ri.../dp/B00AAOEK66
          I use that kinda and they work fine 5years allready

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Not sure about center-bore but otherwise they'll work fine. My wheels are 17x8, 4.5" backspace and i run 255/50/17 all-way around. Rolled the front fenders slightly as they'd get grabbed a bit going into driveways with the wheels turned hard. Adco swaybar gets a little rubbed but not bad. You should be fine and i dig those wheels. Always thought a Mag 500/Mach I-style would look good on these cars. Kinda wish i could start over. I like my wheels but have seen some i like better.
            Got some pics I could see???
            '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
            formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1285353This is the best i have currently, lost all my other pics. I'll try to take some more from different angles. For the record, this is my first '90, the one that got wrecked.

Comment

Thanks - that looks good. I think I will just go ahead and buy these wheels.

Comment

I'm currently trying to determine if these will fit the rear of my 87 CVCS.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/deepdish2.html

I have 1.5" spacers that work w/stock 94 Mustang Bullitts.

Would like to run 315/40/18 or 295/40/18.
                  I want 27.5 or 28" diameter though.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Just got out to the garage & it almost looks like the 295's I've been running at almost too wide @ 10" width. Hmm

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

4" bs on 15" wheel.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered 4 of the 17” wheels I was talking about. We’ll see how they look.

Comment

Annnnnd massive disappointment. They’re on a 2 month back order.

Comment

Doh! Yeah merc there's plenty of room in back but in front shit gets weird. Perhaps with smaller diameter there might be more room but not much. I personally wouldn't run more than the 255 i have on there now. They make my wheels in a 9.5 but i haven't yet found a wider tire that approximates the diameter i want. Too bad really because once i get the REAL engine in this pile i don't think my dried-out 255 Nittos are gonna hold up. We'll see how it goes i guess.

Comment

K head, I was thinking 245/45/ 17 for the front. Sound feasible?

Comment

Working...
                              X