PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 87 Mgm Radio

Default 87 Mgm Radio

Looking for the stock radio, whether in perfect shape or not I donít really care as long as it works. Pm me with whatever you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

You want the radio with cassette? 4 button presets? I have a few of them.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

A related question is which style connectors? 4 buttons exist with both the square type and the long narrow type.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

If you don't find it somewhere else, pm me. I have many radios. Something might work for you.

Theyre long narrow connectors. Mine isnt a top end but isnt bottom trim either so Im guessing it had a 4 button radio but if the 6 button is plug and play Id get one.

Incoming pm.

it is, basically anything with that long narrow connector will swap. Mounting changed in 1990 I think

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Oh ok perfect thanks for the info.

Yeah... 90-97 are single din clip-in style while 79-89 are the bolt in single din in a din.5 hole.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

See Ive been looking all over ebay and cant find squat for the 87. Its all newer stuff. And if it does say it fits an 87 it has the clips that require the radio removal tool. I figured it was bolted in like the hvac panel. Cant find even one. I found a bunch on carpart.com but nobody answers when I email or call these places. But if someone here has one Id much rather support a fellow forum member.

Yours is a screw-in. It doesn't have to be a radio specific to an 87 GMQ, most Ford things from that era with the proper plugs will work. Just count the knobs on the front, the truck ones do not have a fader and will not work the rear speakers.

This is the later style, but with the proper mounting

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-AM-FM-...AAAOSwJnxcx69W

The 4 button ones with those connectors exist but they aren't real common. I actually have one but its my backup in case the JBL one in the Conti dies. Its not entirely proper for an 84, but it was the one that came to me with the car-side connectors that had been hacked out of my car so thats what went in. At this point I'm too unmotivated to change it.

Oh ok gotcha. I know Ive seen other ones like that from maybe a mustang or something. The mount with the screw holes didnt look like theyd fit but now that I have a picture to reference I think Ill be able to find one. Thank you a lot gadget!

Also, you CAN use the clip-in style... just need the Metra mounting kit...
    https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-5700.../dp/B000281X6A

The bottom bracket in that pic is the one to use. You do have to trim off all the mounting holes on the top and bottom edges for it to fit though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Thats good to know, I actually bought that kit anticipating buying an aftermarket radio but decided against it because of how out of place they look. Im not an audiophile so I dont care too much about sound.

well if that kit lets you mount later radios, anything through the mid 90s in that package should work as long as the plugs look the same.

Default 87 Mgm Radio

I messaged Mainemantom, just waiting for him to get all his radios together and take pics. In the meantime Ill look around but I havent been able to find any for a reasonable price for some reason.

Can't find a pic of the 93's stock radio installed in the 88 MGM I used to have. With that mounting kit, the stock 93 radio fit perfectly and was flush to the front bezel (remove the fake wood grain bezel and mount everything and then place back over and it's flush). It "looks stock" that way. The clip tool holes are covered as well IIRC.

Ill have to look at a radio from a 93 to see how it looks compared to the 87 but thats definitely a good option.