Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Codes

I have everything buttoned up under the hood after months of slowly accumulating parts. It starts and runs but idle sometimes is a little erratic and its running pig rich. I mean to the point where it pours black smoke and fouls the plugs after literally 5 minutes of idling. Im getting koer codes 12, 21, 22, 41, 91, 33. Originally I was getting 98 so its a plus. Ive checked all those sensors, fuel pressure and even unplugged the o2 sensor harness to see if it would run differently since the ecu wouldnt be using the o2 sensor inputs but it didnt make a difference. There is a slight vacuum leak between the upper and lower intake but I wouldnt think it could make the car run this rich.

A few tidbits. I have rebuilt 14# injectors, Ive verified the size from part numbers on a few of them. Im using the fuel injector harness from a mustang because I couldnt find one from a panther. The pinout is the same but some wires had to be extended due to different placement of the egr, iac and tps sensors. Im running an o2 sensor harness from a fox mustang as well from I think an 89 with an aod. Im not sure the pinout is the same but regardless it runs the same with it unplugged. Also I realized all those sensors that were throwing codes share an input and output. Im getting 5v at all the sensors so the input is fine but maybe the output is the issue? I currently have the fuel injector harness grounded to the throttle bracket instead of a fuel rail bolt but would that make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page14.html
    12 - usually this is IAC related
    21 - engine cold or ECT is bad
    22 - MAP is bad or vacuum line unhooked <- this is why it runs horribly rich, figure out whether its bad or has no vacuum
    41 - lean right side
    91 - lean left side
    33 - EGR not opening, also usually vacuum related

Start with the MAP sensor and the ECT sensor. Once those are dealt with, the rest will possibly solve itself.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I replaced the map sensor and tested the ect with no change.

Comment

Is the vacuum line to the MAP any good? If it's cracking or squeezes really easily, replace the hose as it would be leaking or collapsing and neither condition lets the engine run well for crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It had a very flexible vacuum line on it but I replaced it with one thats sturdier. I need to sort out my vacuum lines and run a vacuum test while Im at it. Im sure engine vacuum is fine but maybe itll tell me something I dont know.

Comment

Couldnt find my vacuum gauge but I did run a new vacuum line straight from the manifold to the map sensor and now no smoke but it is running rich. Im still getting codes 41, 91, 33 and 12 but the other codes went away and instead I got a code 13 and high idle. Im thinking its a combination of the iac (bought the iac and tb used from a u pull so Im unsure of miles or how long its been sitting) and the vacuum leak I have under the intake. Also I still smell burning coolant and when I popped the hood after a little drive I saw that the airbox and fender were covered in something. It wasnt like that beforehand. It was dark and wasnt hot so I doubt it was coolant but Im not sure what it was. Anyway I can narrow that down another time. How do you guys make sure the plenum gasket actually seals? Im pretty sure thats where my vacuum leak is coming from. Its a pain in the ass to get lined up when replacing it yourself.

Comment

ok so line to the MAP fixed part of it. Good.

High idle could still be vacuum leak, so make sure you have nothing hanging loose. All the ports need to be connected to something or capped off.

13 - this means the idle couldn't be dropped low enough, so not surprising if the idle is obviously high
              12 - means idle couldn't be raised enough. Probably leak related, but I have seen both of these codes with a bad IAC before.

41/91 - either the oxygen sensors are bad, the wiring to them is not right, or it might be switched side to side. What is the O2 sensor harness out of, and what is the engine harness for? I'll see if I can dig up pinouts for them to see if anything is obviously different. Might just have to do it the brute force way and match the colors on both sides of the connector.

Find a couple of bolts that thread into the lower intake and lop their heads off. The bolts need to be long enough that you can remove them from the ends of the intake once it is in place. Allthread works fine for this too. Use a hacksaw to cut a slot in there for a screwdriver. Put one in each end of the lower intake, put the gasket in place, drop the upper on top of that. The bolts will keep all of it lined up nicely. Put in the other bolts, then remove the guide pins.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Codes

Theres definitely a vacuum leak at the plenum gasket area on the passenger side. I can spray carb cleaner and idle will fall and almost die. My vacuum routing is a little ghetto right now but I bought 10 feet of 1/8” vacuum line to replace most of it. I think I have 5/32” and 1/4” as well around if I need them. I guess the map sensor needs a very clean signal to work correctly.

Great idea for the intake install thanks.

I wouldnt put it past the o2 sensors I got to be bad as theyre ebay specials. The o2 sensor harness is from an 87 (I think) fox mustang aod car. Im not sure if the pinout is exactly the same but Id assume so if mustang ecu swaps are pretty much plug and play. The colors Im sure are going to be different so the only real way of finding out is to un-loom the harness, but Id still need a pinout from the car harness side.

As for the injector harness Im not worried about it anymore but I believe it was from a 91 gt. I glanced at the pinout of the salt and pepper shakers from a mustang and it seemed to be identical to where it should be on my 87. Im only getting a code 33 now (the only code related to the injector harness) so Im not worried about it.

Attached are pics of the o2 sensor harness connectors.

The first one is of the car side and the second one is the mustang o2 sensor harness side.

Comment

Whats the harness on the firewall between the ECM and other stuff, original 1987 Grand Marquis? Assuming so, here is what I can find in Alldata for that connector

87 Grand Marquis
                  DG/P R oxygen sensor
                  DG/LG L oxygen sensor
                  GY/Y O2 sensor heat supply (key-on +12v)
                  O - O2 sensor ground

not sure what the other wires are, and I can't find anything on the 87 Mustang harness.

Comment

Yes its stock. Most of those colors match up but not all do and I also have 5 wires on the car side of the harness. Ive tried finding diagrams on the mustang harness but theres so many different ones depending on year, transmission and Ford using different colors lol. No biggie though.

Also I found this harness on the drivers side fender, not sure where it goes.

I loosened the intake and retorqued it because I didnt have enough time this morning but it made no difference. The gasket has moved though as it sticks out in places and not in others. Strange that it leaks vacuum though. Ill put a straight edge on it when I have time to pull the intake. Anyway, it runs better with the o2 sensor harness on correctly (lol no shit) and a new vacuum line on the map sensor. It still idles high and a little rich but nothing like before. Im definitely getting somewhere. It seems like there are a few issues.

Comment

I worked on her all morning rerouting all the vacuum lines, adding the ac vac line and mounting the vacuum canister that I just got. The whole issue was that on the rear of the upper intake I must have forgotten to cap off a vacuum port and thats why I had so many issues lol. When I went to reroute everything I was able to use it so no need to keep it capped off. Im happy to report the ac works in all modes now and she runs and idles 10x better now! Its still a little tiny bit rough but Im sure it could use new plugs and o2 sensors. Also I ripped the wires out of the passenger side o2 sensor (ebay specials, go figure) so that will need to be replaced but all in all Im happy. Thank you all for helping!

Also the brakes work really well now but there isnt any feedback really. The pedal isnt firm but its due for all fluids to be changed so Im sure itll get fixed along the way.

Comment

Good deal.

Never found the stock brakes to have much feedback, they're overly touchy but they do stop OK as long as everything is working and you're careful on the pedal.

Comment

Thats exactly how Id describe mine. Thats good to know its not only my car lol.

Comment

yeah... gotta remember that these cars were pretty much marketed to geriatrics. They wanted the brake pedal to work with minimal effort.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Lol true

Comment

Working...
                              X