1991 Grand Marquis Engine Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
    My dad always told me that when you put water in the battery put enough till you see "chinaman's eyes" and stop. He was an electrical engeineer that is how he knows.
    Yep, here's the procedure. https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Car-Battery-Water-Levels Looks like they sell the batteries as "maintenance free" but they're lying. You're supposed to check the distilled water levels a few times a year, and keep them topped up. I guess they evaporate over time and with charge cycles. Turkey baster or whatever to fill until they crown like an eyeball/look like a drink cup that's a CH away from overflowing.

Most people just buy a new battery and ignore it until it dies. I wonder if the garbage batteries would hold up better with routine maintenance, or if some people's/models' alternators tend to overcharge and deplete the electrolyte, exposing the plates and reducing the capacity over time.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-13-2019, 08:11 AM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
    X