PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 351W Cam Selection

Default 351W Cam Selection

Hello all!

So I am planning a cam swap in the future (depending on time and funds). Right now I like the looks of this cam for my engine: http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2359&gid=287

I was looking for other opinions and suggestions. Here's my setup and goals:

Stock 351w block and pistons, GT40 heads, 4 barrel intake and 650CFM edelbrock carb, stock torque converter (i believe from power braking it it's around 1800RPM stall), and a 3.27 rear. I want to keep it as streetable as possible as it's my daily driver. Ideally I'd like to try to get the same fuel economy as I have now, but add torque and horsepower.

Comp Cams has a similar cam I was looking at: (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=877&sb=0) however from what I read the Voodoo cams do a little better with streetability due to less aggressive ramps rates, and a little wider lobe separation (110 vs 112 in this case). I prefer wider lobe separation anyway as it tends to give a broader power range.

Any inputs or suggestions welcome!
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

Also, the next step up for this cam is this: http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2360&gid=287

The power range goes far beyond where I'll be going, I'm just not sure if 1400RPM is to high to start the power, or not.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

First one looks like it'd be a great fit.

I'm just afraid I'll be limiting my power with the smaller cam... For anyone interested it looks like I did find the specs for the stock 351W HO. They are supposed to be the same as the marine cam:

cam specs lift 444int./452exh.
    adv. dur 206int./221exh. on a 115 lobe separation
    -Phil

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

I think youíll be highly disappointed with the first cam...I would go with the next step up Lunati cam you shared the link to....or, the cam I have. The Comp Cams 265DEH...itís a strong cam everywhere.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I went with a custom cam for my engine. Last time I tried to figure out cam selection, we had a dog of an engine (Buick 350); but that can be chalked up to kids picking out parts and adding up the horsepower increase each individual part claims to have.

According to the specs, the Lunati 256 isn't really that much different from the 265DEH. Duration is about the same, and the Lunati even has more lift. Biggest difference is the lobe separation. I'm looking for a fairly tame Idle. How is the 265DEH in that department?

The thing turning me off from the next step up, the Lunati 262, is a lot of people claim to be getting only around 14 inches of vacuum, and the idle seems rougher.

A custom cam is possible, but would cost around 2x as much as a regular flat tappet cam
    -Phil

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

The 265DEH has a good idle and supposedly works well with a stock converter...I have a 5-speed, but it was never an issue and drive smoothly from pretty much right off idle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnboZ3vbIfM

Never mind the poor startup, stupid GM iac crapped out. People used to try to race me from stoplights and by the time I knew it I was lugging 2nd gear...stab the throttle, kick the clutch and it would burn tires past them. Lol. VERY strong midrange.