Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351W Cam Selection

Hello all!

So I am planning a cam swap in the future (depending on time and funds). Right now I like the looks of this cam for my engine: http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2359&gid=287

I was looking for other opinions and suggestions. Here's my setup and goals:

Stock 351w block and pistons, GT40 heads, 4 barrel intake and 650CFM edelbrock carb, stock torque converter (i believe from power braking it it's around 1800RPM stall), and a 3.27 rear. I want to keep it as streetable as possible as it's my daily driver. Ideally I'd like to try to get the same fuel economy as I have now, but add torque and horsepower.

Comp Cams has a similar cam I was looking at: (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=877&sb=0) however from what I read the Voodoo cams do a little better with streetability due to less aggressive ramps rates, and a little wider lobe separation (110 vs 112 in this case). I prefer wider lobe separation anyway as it tends to give a broader power range.

Any inputs or suggestions welcome!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Also, the next step up for this cam is this: http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2360&gid=287

The power range goes far beyond where I'll be going, I'm just not sure if 1400RPM is to high to start the power, or not.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

First one looks like it'd be a great fit.

Comment

I'm just afraid I'll be limiting my power with the smaller cam... For anyone interested it looks like I did find the specs for the stock 351W HO. They are supposed to be the same as the marine cam:

cam specs lift 444int./452exh.
        adv. dur 206int./221exh. on a 115 lobe separation
        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I think you’ll be highly disappointed with the first cam...I would go with the next step up Lunati cam you shared the link to....or, the cam I have. The Comp Cams 265DEH...it’s a strong cam everywhere.
          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I went with a custom cam for my engine. Last time I tried to figure out cam selection, we had a dog of an engine (Buick 350); but that can be chalked up to kids picking out parts and adding up the horsepower increase each individual part claims to have.

Comment

According to the specs, the Lunati 256 isn't really that much different from the 265DEH. Duration is about the same, and the Lunati even has more lift. Biggest difference is the lobe separation. I'm looking for a fairly tame Idle. How is the 265DEH in that department?

The thing turning me off from the next step up, the Lunati 262, is a lot of people claim to be getting only around 14 inches of vacuum, and the idle seems rougher.

A custom cam is possible, but would cost around 2x as much as a regular flat tappet cam
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

The 265DEH has a good idle and supposedly works well with a stock converter...I have a 5-speed, but it was never an issue and drive smoothly from pretty much right off idle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnboZ3vbIfM

Never mind the poor startup, stupid GM iac crapped out. People used to try to race me from stoplights and by the time I knew it I was lugging 2nd gear...stab the throttle, kick the clutch and it would burn tires past them. Lol. VERY strong midrange.
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

BUMP. Just ordered this 35-414-3 cam for a build with some mild port and bigger valve DO0E heads. It's probably too much cam but I'll have a converter. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=871&sb=2

Comment

Would a '91 351 car have a roller or flat-tappet cam? I'm looking at one to have as a spare when the '90 goes under the knife for everything swap. I have extra heads and cams, thought it might be fun to see what they do to a stock 351 2bbl in a vic.

Comment

roller 351 block came out in 1994 I think.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Purely anecdotal but go with Lunati. I have their Barebones cam in my 78. Four years of awesomeness. Make sure to put Zinc or ZDDP in with oil changes for that cam. Please update with progress as I will be doing this with my 5.8 87Vic!
                        Last edited by Grand1; 09-02-2019, 09:49 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Roller block is 1994 and later; F4TE casting.

I would highly recommend zinc additive with every oil change to anyone using a flat tappet cam.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Ever consider having a cam made specifically for your application.?
                            It's typically a sub $300 deal..
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                            X