new speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new speedo cable

I installed a new speedo cable but i dont get a speed reading on the cluster, I know its possible the cluster could be bad but I think that is unlikely, I had the cable unplugged from the cluster and it spun fine, the cable was also completely seated into the cluster and it still didnt work, is it possible I dont have it routed crorrectly and that its causing it to bind and not spin when plugged in, i can also spin the cluster by hand, and it moves the guage, Any help would be appreciated in resolving this issue, thanks

I am wondering about the drive gear (the one inside the transmission). Do you get speedometer needle movement when you rotate the cable from the transmission end (where the driven gear goes)?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yes, when the car is in drive the cable rotates
      Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 05-12-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

sounds like its not fully engaged at the cluster end. I've had that problem before, if that cable isn't fully clipped in it will not read.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

update: so I moved the cluster out of the way again and watched the speedo cable turn with the rear wheels off the ground,it spun fine. I then put the car in park and plugged it into the cluster about half way then put it back into drive and it was reading fine, then all of a sudden it stopped reading, I then unplugged it and checked to see if it was still spinning, it wasnt, i removed the sensor from the tail stock and spun the gear on the sensor, the cable spun fine, then i used an inspection mirror to see the gear in the tail stock, it appeared fine, I even checked it in drive and it spun fine, spitting trans fluid in my face. Im just really confused as to whats going on, any help is appreciated, thanks

Comment

what does the plastic gear on the end of the cable look like? Thats far more likely to fail than the metal bits in the trans. Really just sounds to me like the core isn't pushed into one end or the other all the way and its not being driven.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the plastic gear looks fine, I could not find any damage any where on it, also is it possible the sensor could be bad? considering my cruise control never worked since owning the car, not sure if this is related though.

Comment

the sensor only is used for CC, but it has to be mechanically intact to drive the cable. Honestly the VSS rarely is a problem in these but I suppose nothing is impossible.

Comment

Is it possible your "new" cable has a different shape end than the cluster?

I.e. triangle peg square hole. Might slide in but partially engage.... dunno. My first thought would be the plastic gear. But if that's good... I had an issue with a cluster working partially too. But I believed it to be an issue inside the cluster in my situation.
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Another thought would be if the gear isn't full stuck on the cable down by the trans.. just thought of that
                    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I'll mess around with it sometime this week, and let you guys know if its fixed.

Comment

Double check that you threaded the cable properly. There should be one end of the spinning cable that has a ball that helps it not drop into the sheath. That end should be up at the speedo IIRC. I had that problem with the replacement cable that I put in the cars I used to have. Pulled it back out and fed the cable back through from the speedo side (make sure it's well lubricated too or it'll grind itself into oblivion - Axle grease works fine here) and things stayed engaged.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Finally figured it out, the inside of the speedo gear looks like its now rounded and would only sometimes catch the piece that turns the cable in the sensor. So although the actual gear looked fine the inside of it wasnt. As of right now I have a 17t gear when i should have a 19t, but thats just temporary until I can find a new one.

Comment

I was wondering if it was something along those lines. Something ill have to remember when I check mine out.

Comment

Working...
                            X