Shift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift kit

Right now I have a baumann shift kit in my 87 mgm. I like it but its a bit too much for me. The po turned it up all the way so it shifts pretty harsh. This isnt a racecar lol. Anyway, if I wanted to could I install another shift kit or do you think I need another valve body to modify? Im thinking about the aod-hp kit because it doesnt make the shifts too harsh and corrects a lot of the issues with the aod from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone?

Comment

Baumann provides “full technical support” according to their website, and could hopefully give you some direction on what changes to make. Call them. I am betting you’ll need a new kit (I would stick to theirs), hopefully not a new valve body.

I would not suggest a different brand kit with your current valve body. Different ways to change the character of the transmission might end up being incompatible with each other.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. Ill give them a call and see if I can get the firmness toned down a bit.

Comment

I was thinking about getting a new valve body and use a superior shift correction or their aod hp kit. They look very minimal but are supposed to correct shifting issues with the stock aod. Anyone have experience with either kit?

Comment

I can say I've used the Baumann kit in 2 different vehicles...my wagon has all level 1 shifts. Yes you can feel the shifts, but its not harsh, just fast, precise shifts. In my LTD I have the 1-2 shift at level 2, and that could definitely considered harsh, it will chirp the tires shifting, certainly not the case with the level 1 Baumann settings. I recommend getting a new separation plate and doing all level 1 baumann modifications, i think you'll be happy. Unless there's something wrong with the current VB, you just need a new plate. Not the whole thing.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I ended up calling Superior Transmissions and spoke to one of the techs for a while. I must say I think his name was Bob, he was a great guy and very knowledgeable. I bought their aod shift correction kit per his advice and am picking up a stock valve body to modify for the future. I highly recommend them. Anyway, for the time being Im going to run what I have. I like the quick shifts but chirping tires at half throttle is kind of annoying.

Comment

just make sure its the right valve body for your trans. There is an early and a late and they aren't quite interchangeable. You need to know if yours has the 3-4 accumulator in the case or not. Late ones did not, early did. If you pull the pan off and there is a hole up in the case where it looks like a part should be, thats a later one. I believe it is possible to convert from one style to the other but I don't know the specifics on that.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ill take a look, I ASSumed its the earlier one with the 3-4 accumulator because its an 87 but it could have been swapped at one point for all I know. I got the valve body for 20 bucks so Im not too worried. I appreciate it.

Comment

Isn't it called a "shit" kit?

Comment

Some of them yes lol. I dont mind the Baumann too much but it is more harsh than Id like.

Comment

Working...
                      X