03 TC overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03 TC overheating

At least that's what the gauge says. Top hose hot, bottom cooler. No leaks, no coolant smell. Hits the top of the gauge about 5min after idle. Did use my AC for the first time this year...thought I read something about that....any help much appreciated.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Just wondering if the check engine light would come on if it is really hot?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Are the cooling fans coming on? Are the rear heater hoses getting hot? Does it stay hot standing still, while moving, or both?

I’d be leaning towards a restriction, water pump impeller issue, or cooling fans not doing their thing.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The temp light comes on. Fans do engage. Guess I have to confirm that my car is actually overheating.

Comment

If the fans are on, thermostat, bum ECT or CHT - Can't remember which one it uses for fan control - ECT is used for the gauge in the cluster though, or the water pump isn't pushing water. I'm wagering on sticky thermostat myself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cheapest fix for a parts changer like me us the thermosat. Replaced for the time being . Temp guage all good. Now I have a slight leak(barely a drop a full throttle), cant get this small leak to go away....looking at the T stat housing, looks like its been this way for awhile. Small smear of RTV? Used old o ring and new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_193637.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1285425
            Last edited by Grand1; 05-26-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

replace that hose clamp with a new one. Looks like the leak is from the hose. May have to replace the hose too, if that end is split.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X