X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Consumption TSB

Looks like a quart or less/900 miles means you have a good solid 5.0 Liter

Oil Consumption TSB.pdf

That means you'll need to buy an extra seven quarts to make it to your 6000 oil change. That's pretty poor quality IMO.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 05-28-2019, 08:51 PM.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Yeah, thought that was common knowlwdge.

As an aside: your "6000" what, exactly?
    None of my 5.0s can get past a standard 3000 miles/4800km change interval without turning the oil into black water that burns off as quick as gas.

Conventional, full synthetic, synthetic blend, diesel HDEO, brand names or store brands, all the same.

Oil change intervals are not about how long the oil can last in ideal conditions, but rather how long your engine can use the same oil without contaminating it or breaking it down with things like quick trips below operating temp. Not saying SBFs can't do long OCI because I'm sure some can, but a 6000 mile OCI on one of these that hasn't been rebuilt is no bueno without a used oil analysis to support it.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

It seems like the 6000 mile OCI was prescribed by Ford until the 1990s, then the literature shifted and started pointing towards a 5000 mile OCI. I had been cruising eBay and some 60s Mercury wagon even mentioned servicing the engine oil at 6000 mile intervals.

Both of my cars leak a touch of oil. Not enough to warrant me to do anything about it. As far as actually burning it, neither seem to do that. I don't ever recall having to add oil to the 302, just been running normal 10W-30 in it. The 4.6 used a quart randomly one time a few years back, and never did it again.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I seem to recall my 83 owners manual prescribing a 3000 mile OCI but to change the filter only half as often. In any event, the fluid coming out of my crankcase does not resemble oil of any type anymore by the time I change it at 3k so there isn't a chance on earth I'd try to go double that lol.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

if I have to put in any oil between changes, I consider that a problem. 900 per quart acceptable? No thank you.

As for the change interval, there are two schedules. One is the "nobody on earth meets this" schedule, and then the one for the rest of us. Without looking at it, I suspect that 6k mile change is on the impossible to meet all conditions schedule.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Funny to consider there’s some foreign makes touting 7500 to 10000 mile OCIs on synthetic. Don’t get me wrong, synthetics are great for longevity, but I would be personally afraid trying to go that far. Of all the simple things that can be changed to help keep a motor going, oil is one of them. I’ll stick with my 5000 mile OCI, regardless if it’s conventional or synthetic.

Regarding oil consumption, it’s almost coming full circle again where normal oil usage is factored in again. Surprising amount of newer cars are coming in needing a quart or two to top up and they’re nowhere near their next scheduled oil change.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

My CV leaks/burns about a quart every 3k miles it seems. (I'm pretty sure it's leaking as the back of the engine is always oil soaked). If it was any more than that, it would annoy the hell out of me. Couldn't imagine burning a quart every 900 miles. My 351W in my '78 doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes. I wonder what they messed up in the piston rings or valve stem seals that caused this TSB to go out and require replacing them on more or less newer cars at the time.

So once this TSB is followed and the piston rings and valve stem seals are replaced, does that mean the engine shouldn't be expected to burn oil between changes anymore for the life (using that word loosely) of the engine or is it just a "we'll see you when it happens again down the road" type of deal?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Seems like '91+ are the years to buy. Which supports my weird theories of "you want the latest model of whatever vehicle you're looking into." Although the TSB was published in '90.. But that's probably why these have a low oil level light and that the gas cap even has "Check Oil" written on it. Least my Town Car did, so did Ashley's. My '85 LTD had that stamped steel type gas cap, said nothing on it IIRC.

I've noticed my '88 Town Car burns less oil when cruising around town, so if I keep the manifold vacuum high and RPM's down. But this past road trip it did indeed use about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I run 5w-40 synthetic, Valvoline SynPower with Motorkote added in. By about 3k miles my oil is dark on the stick, but far from black. Ashley's '89 TC was this way as well, but toward the end it burned a lot of oil due to trashed valve stem seals. My '85 LTD CV was also this way, although I think it burned a bit more oil than my '88.

My '89 K1500 with it's '95 350, that burns next to no oil. It wont start fading away from the dip stick until about 1500+ miles. I run the same oil in that as the TC. The oil stays very clean right up to 4k miles, much cleaner than my Town Car. I do 5k OCI's on that and 3k OCI's on the Town Car. But the Townie doesn't get driven every day so it'll probably start getting annual changes. I also run WIX synthetic media filters. I do not believe in extended service intervals. It's not that I don't think oil can't make it based on scientific analysis, it's just oil is cheap and I'm anal about that sort of thing. I don't like to see brackish oil on the dipstick.
                Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-29-2019, 06:43 AM.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I’m personally a 3000 mile or three years (a bit long probably) oil change person. The 6000 is what my 88 owners manual suggests I think. The original owner of that car used a 4000 interval. At 242k, it’s got very good oil pressure and never any bearing knock, but does have piston slap and uses about 1 quart/1000 miles.
                  My old 82 recommended 7500 mile intervals for normal usage in the owners manual, no kidding. When it came into the family at 78K, the bearings were toast and the engine full of sludge. I suspect the original little old lady owner followed her maintenance schedule, unfortunately.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I used to be super diligent about 3k interval oil and filter changes. The engine in my '89 was rebuild by my dad and his friend, so I had every intention of keeping it in tip top shape. Fast forward to today (16 years later) and that same engine is now in The Ice Car with about 150K miles on it and still running the 10w30 the machine shop said to run in it (back in 2003) and no oil burning issues. At least not until I start pushing the length of my oil change interval. As I get up there in miles, my theory is the oil breaks down and for some reason this makes it more susceptible to burning off/vaporizing and exiting through the PCV. Nothing crazy, maybe half a quart every 1000 miles, but only when the oil is well used.

Derek, I also noticed this copy of the TSB only went to '90, then also noticed release date on this copy appears to be '90 (based on copyright and Article No.). Later model years usually have the bugs worked out, but I'm not convinced there is anything different about '91 (compared to '90 at least) that would leave it off of a '91 revision of this TSB. Also, now I need to go look at my gas cap; I have no idea if it says check oil on it.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah, rebuilds don't count haha. They probably used updated rings and such. I often wonder if the engine that got put in my K1500 was rebuilt, NFC. But it behaves like your rebuilt engine does. That's the other reason I don't like to exceed 5k miles, why is it burning oil now if it's still the same as new? Something is different, so bye-bye it goes.

Yeah, why would they do anything different in '91? Is your gas cap an original?

Comment

My valve covers leak like a sieve and i don't care enough to fix it. I put a quart in about every other month unless i drive the car a lot. Odometer don't work so i'm just guesstimating mileage but reckon i'm about due.

Comment

My '85 had VC's which were that bad. The smell of burning oil at stoplights compelled me to replace them.

Comment

There are a surprising number of manufacturers today that have issues with oil consumption. I have read some absurd things about BMW's problems.

My 4.6 uses no oil. I change it on a 4K mile OCI; Motorcraft oil and filter only. It was a patrol car, and I figure that most town garages used the OEM oils and filters. I believe the lash adjusters make noise, but with 200K+ and 5000 idle hours its allowed to do that.

My TDI recommended a 10K mile service interval; other than that car I have never gone more than 5K; synthetic or not.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

my 93 uses a little oil in 5K with the 03 motor in it... but it's less than half a quart and some of that is leaking out the passenger side valve cover bolt grommets. Rather annoying that because it was a felpro kit and it just doesn't seal at all on that side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X