No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the diagram from an 88. Not sure that will help, but there it is. The strongest vacuum should be from the tree on the firewall that is fed by the main lines that come from under the intake (past the throttle - engine side).
    Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll see if I can scan my EVTM with my phone when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
        Hell no. Why would I check there...LOL...
        I'll look today EHRMAHGERD...

Yep, that was pretty much my reaction after wasting time all over the net trying to find one. LoL
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thought I'd throw some pix on here of replacing window motors. I got the motors from Rock Auto.
          Also started an experiment on the door closing strap. We'll see how it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220511_141410 (1).jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1290317
          Do yourself a favor and buy these from Chyna tool store for $5, they will make your life better.

Name:	Resized_20220511_141926.jpeg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1290318
          Panel off, the paper is still alive and well surviving from 1986.

Name:	Resized_20220511_141908.jpeg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1290319
          All unbroken. A personal record.

Name:	3 holes in the door.jpg
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	1290320
          Here are the 3 divots Ford stamped in the metal to help poor saps like us. Drill here. I used a 1/2" because my 3/8" was dull.

Name:	Holey moley.jpeg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1290321
          You can see the screw heads in there.

More in the next post. for some reason, can't upload any more pix......
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Thought I'd throw some pix on here of replacing window motors. I got the motors from Rock Auto.
            Also started an experiment on the door closing strap. We'll see how it goes.

Name:	Resized_20220511_141410 (1).jpeg
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1290317
            Do yourself a favor and buy these from Chyna tool store for $5, they will make your life better.

Name:	Resized_20220511_141926.jpeg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1290318
            Panel off, the paper is still alive and well surviving from 1986.

Name:	Resized_20220511_141908.jpeg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1290319
            All unbroken. A personal record.

Name:	3 holes in the door.jpg
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	1290320
            Here are the 3 divots Ford stamped in the metal to help poor saps like us. Drill here. I used a 1/2" because my 3/8" was dull.

Name:	Holey moley.jpeg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1290321
            You can see the screw heads in there.

More in the next post. for some reason, can't upload any more pix......
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

....continued

Name:	Resized_20220513_131502.jpeg
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1290322
              What's in the box. Used an adapter that was included to get from the OEM plug to the new motor plug. All got dielectric grease, as I really like the stuff.

Name:	Old and new.jpeg
Size:	990.8 KB
ID:	1290323
              Old motor and new motor. Used supplied screws to attach the new motor and it went together easily. Getting my hand and arm in and out of the speaker hole wasn't too tough.

Name:	Resized_20220511_141815 (1).jpeg
Size:	983.3 KB
ID:	1290324
              Back side view of the passenger panel. Behind the black insulation is the 3/4" stamped steel nuts that hold the door pull.
              Not doing the passenger side door pull yet.....
              Put it all back together quite easily. These cars are really not tough to work on for the most part.

On to the drivers side motor and door pull.

Name:	Resized_20220531_110234.jpeg
Size:	961.2 KB
ID:	1290325
              Drivers door card and pull disassembled. As you can see, the door pull was deteriorated to the metal strap.

Name:	Resized_20220525_152310.jpeg
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	1290326
              Gave it all a decent wrap of black tape and got ready for the next part of the experiment. Heavy duty heat shrink.
              The posts were long enough it wasn't going to fit easily, so I cut them down a litlle bit with a cut-off wheel. Dressed the edges of the posts, and the heat shrink slipped over easily. It was thick enough that it filled the gap in the chrome plastic escutcheon and wouldn't let the black plastic square piece snap in. A little work with the X-Acto knife fixed that up. Removed enough heat shrink that it snapped in and I put it all back together.

Name:	Resized_20220602_165221.jpeg
Size:	922.4 KB
ID:	1290327
              Done. My plan is to wrap this with blue steering wheel wrap when it's time. This appears to be what I was after, and I think it will work well once it's all sweetened up.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Was the motor actually bad or were simply the gear plugs "toast"?
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                  Was the motor actually bad or were simply the gear plugs "toast"?
                  The passenger motor was seized. No go up, No go down.
                  While I was doing 1, screw it. Do them both....
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                    The passenger motor was seized. No go up, No go down.
                    While I was doing 1, screw it. Do them both....
                    Just curious because as you know, it is usually only the plastic plugs that need replacing and some folks mistakenly throw the entire motor out. Glad you're back in business. May have to do one on my friend's '96 CV but doctor appointments sadly need to come first and then we'll see.

Comment

You can get some replacement door pull straps for Chevy products. May be something to look into if the steering wheel wrap idea does not work out.

Just a quick ebay search yeiled this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35378946082...8AAOSwA6BezXDA

May be more like it around. I know I picked up a tan set and similar style but have yet to install. I forgot what length I picked up as I know different ones are available.
                      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-05-2022, 02:22 PM.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I did the bushings on my drivers side window on the 87. They were mush when I opened the cover. A few months afterwards and they’re mush again, sigh. Also I got a nice shard of metal in my thumb when pulling the motor out lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                          I did the bushings on my drivers side window on the 87. They were mush when I opened the cover. A few months afterwards and they’re mush again, sigh. Also I got a nice shard of metal in my thumb when pulling the motor out lol.
                          Really? They usually last a lot longer than that. Was there anything that interfered with the travel of the window or just some really cheap ass plugs?

Comment

Using the wrong type of grease turns the plastic bushings to mush. I made that mistake before. I use synthetic grease

Comment

This is why I started using ball bearings instead of the "safer" bushings. Also, because I put a set in dry and they melted in the Texas heat that summer. 7/16 bearing. Have a nice day.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I use white lithium grease in the spray can whenever I replace window motor bushings.
                                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
                                X