No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check with 86VickyLX. I think he looked into this. reasonably sure the conclusion was that the magic animal just doesn't exist but I don't remember exactly why. Maybe something could be modified, dunno. Would have to see exactly what the box shift lever and the modern levers look like to see if something could be done. As far as I know his car has a button on the dash for OD lockout.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah this is gonna bug me. My '98 had the button on the shifter lever but the "O/D Off" light was in the cluster. Trucks and vans had it on the lever for a long time but they'd be goofy and long i think on a vic, although like i said, the pre-'90 shift lever does seem to be a good bit longer than '90-'91. What are the aero ones like? Does anyone have a pic?

Comment

OD Off is in the cluster for all of the panthers so far as I know. If you're creative you can fit it into a stock cluster, just have to re-purpose some other light you don't care about. Since the red engine light of death is basically useless, I'd put it there and install real gauges.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          Yeah this is gonna bug me. My '98 had the button on the shifter lever but the "O/D Off" light was in the cluster. Trucks and vans had it on the lever for a long time but they'd be goofy and long i think on a vic, although like i said, the pre-'90 shift lever does seem to be a good bit longer than '90-'91. What are the aero ones like? Does anyone have a pic?
          I can get you a picture of my 96 CV tomorrow (Tuesday). It has the button on the shifter and green light in the cluster

Comment

That tells me all i need to know Tom, i was hoping there was some year that had the O/D light on the shifter like the trucks. Gonna see if my brother can find the one for the HD and see how long it is compared to mine.

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures of the 96. The length is 7 1/4 inches from the steering wheel cover. I was looking for the nos shift lever. Could not find it yet. Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1286252Click image for larger version

Name:	069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1286253

Comment

In clutch47's case I think the other end and whatever it attaches to inside the column is more important. Not sure when the next time I'll make it to the JY, but I wouldn't mind comparing a pre-'90 box to something with that later shifter. Having something like that to do at the JY keeps me from buying crap I don't need/can't afford. Here in Detroit it's actually not hard to find such things in our JY, it's finding time to go that's the problem for me.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm hoping the local guy has an early box on the yard. He doesn't let anybody touch the cars. You ride out with him in his garbage scow...show him what you want...and he'll tell you when to come get it. All of his vehicles are nice but stay sealed up. nothing left open or windows down.
                  I'll try to get one of each and put up some pictures..
                  If memory serves me right, the two styles function completely differently.
                  So I'm thinking if I take my inner end...and the later outer end...weld both to a stout piece of DOM tubing.... VIOLA.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Think i've found the O/D off solution. I ordered one of these, just gotta find the right place to put it in the car. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-91-For...53.m2749.l2649

Comment

maybe where the tailgate window switch goes in wagons. Just need to swap or cut out the panel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        maybe where the tailgate window switch goes in wagons. Just need to swap or cut out the panel for it.
                        I like that idea..Find a wagon fuse panel cover (I know the 89 and downs had two spots at least with rectangular cutouts) and utilize one for that button. It has the same general shape. May look good. No clue how the 90/91 wagons are configured.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

For pre-90 wagon switch location that would work. If you have power antenna it would be down by that switch and in the correct orientation.

For '90+ wagons that switch would be sideways if mounted where the tailgate window switch is (left of the steering column, I have an aero LTC fuel door popper switch in that location).
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sweet that panel on the left of the column just may be the tits, i'll pull it off later and have a look. Cool thing is that the thing says OD and has a light, as well as a connector on the back of it should it ever require replacement. Win win win.

Comment

How about a trim panel from a car with heated windshield, It has a third hole,(see picture). I have lots of trim pieces if anyone needs one. WagonMan
                              Attached Files
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I like all these ideas. The shift lever idea didn't come together yet and after seeing these ideas maybe I'll just go this way.
                                That truck O/D off switch is pretty ideal. Now to find a matching script/font style for my '86..THEN figure out where to put it.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X