'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I am glad you mentioned about the cure time of two days inside. My car will go from the detail shop to the garage and sit for a few days.
    Products vary between manufacturers... the couple I have watched videos on all recommend a nice long cute time.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Detailer uses Extreme solutions products exclusively.
      This is the product he used. I'm REALLY happy. https://877askxtreme.com/product/jade-caliber-by-puris/
      I appreciate his effort and care with my car.
      He doesn't think the paint is well enough to take many more detailings like this. Maybe one more.
      So.. Next will be learning about the RIGHT replacement vinyl top, and then on to painting her.
      I'm pretty sure I'll try to stay with the Oxford White as I really like it. Finding it... is the next thing.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
        Detailer uses Extreme solutions products exclusively.
        This is the product he used. I'm REALLY happy. https://877askxtreme.com/product/jade-caliber-by-puris/
        I appreciate his effort and care with my car.
        He doesn't think the paint is well enough to take many more detailings like this. Maybe one more.
        So.. Next will be learning about the RIGHT replacement vinyl top, and then on to painting her.
        I'm pretty sure I'll try to stay with the Oxford White as I really like it. Finding it... is the next thing.
        I will inform you if I find the same vendor in Los Angeles that I used last time for the vinyl top. They pre make them specifically for the model. I have used them a few times. They were reasonable in cost. They will not deal with the public so you have to go through a trimmer (upholstery shop).
        The vinyl is properly coated to protect against the elements which a shop that will make one from your old one will not do.
        Hopefully the shop hasn't burned down or gone out of business.
        If you are concerned about finding Oxford white, no worries. Paint is blended to make the color code. Paint has developed a long way. I still like the base coat clear coat system . The prep and QUALITY of the product, especially the clear is important. Of course it doesn't matter what you use if the painter is no good. Next month one of the TCs is going to be painted with Delfleet Essential Ess9000. It is a one stage. Very durable. That TC is not a show car so I just want it looking good and stay preserved. The paint is great surviving the extreme winters. In previous years I would never paint with a one stage as it did not last more than a couple of years. Products have changed. Proof is in the pudding, so I will see the results in mid October.
        Last edited by Mainemantom; 09-21-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I'd appreciate the top maker info, and as far as paint goes my girl will get good stuff. A show car she is not, but I'll treat her as if she's the only girl in town.
          Not sure if Base/Clear is what I need. I'm not educated enough on paint to know.
          I do know the leftover Oxford white that was used on the trunk and then cleared over last summer has really been nice.
          So if I can get results like that...reasonably... then that's what I want.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Well, they say timing is everything.
            On Monday going home from work, I was givin' her the raspberries. For a 100K mile LoPo she was doing well.
            I pulled in my driveway and noticed the drip trail. It looks like the front part of the passenger side head gasket let go... on the outside.
            No oil in water/water in oil....but definitely a friggin' mess.
            So the 'timing' part is the irony. She was going in storage Friday in the back garage AND the 347 is 90% ready.
            So... here's to timing.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I had a similar situation with my Mom's '86 CV. I noticed back in June 2016 that she wasn't driving the car much. After getting from her that it was running like crap, I concluded that its time had come. On July 11th 2016, the CV took its last trip; which was to the car wash to clean the engine bay and suspension. I knew this, so I uncapped the cut-outs; and with the failed intake and at least one of the head gaskets; she ran rough; shook and rattled the whole way. Came home, removed my MGM, Ranger, and Putter Project out of the driveway; and just as I backed her in, she stalls; had just enough momentum to coast to the back where she has since sat on jack stands. Hope to have her moving under her own power in the spring.

Comment

Looking for anybody that has used the explorer intake on their cars..
                Did you have to use an intake spacer between the upper and lower.?
                If you did what size was it.?
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

I didn't have an Explorer intake; but I know when I got Ford Racing EFI valve covers (circa 2009), the lopo intake wouldn't clear the oil-fill tube. I know they make 3/8", 1/2", and 1" spacers in both the rectangular and round intake runner styles. Wish I had known that back then :-/

Comment

I have I think a 3/8" spacer. Whatever the commonly available thinner one is. You will need longer bolts, just keep that in mind. Not all of the kits come with.

For me its clearance on the fuel rail. It still touches on the driver's side but its not interfering with anything. Without the spacer the intake doesn't quite sit flat because it hits the rail.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Excellent. Good info. Thanks.
                      I can't see any reason NOT to get one a little larger than that. Maybe into the 1/2 or 3/4 size.
                      My question is two-fold.
                      One for clearance of the rail as you said and hood clearance and two for an upcoming addition of some laughing gas. I just think it'd be a hoot to have a 50 shot or something similar. I've never fiddled with funny gas before, and reading about it all these years makes me want to put the spacer with proper provisions in place while it's going together.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

I think 3/4 or 1" was reported to put the upper intake into the hood. That may have been on a 351w though, not a 302. Can't quite remember all the details.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don't know what difference (in height) AFR heads and an Explorer intake (is that what you got on Sherrie?) makes on a 8.2 deck? The top of the lopo intake on my CV was below the master cylinder lid; the bottom of the throttle body on the 351W now sits above the master cylinder lid. But that is an extreme example with the 1" spacer on a 351W with aftermarket heads and intake.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...toria-LX/page4

Comment

Let us know how that ported Explorer intake works out for you. A lot of noise over on Corral about Big Dog (flame wars anyways) and I'm curious to see how their stuff works. I like the idea of having mod'd stock parts.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                              Let us know how that ported Explorer intake works out for you. A lot of noise over on Corral about Big Dog (flame wars anyways) and I'm curious to see how their stuff works. I like the idea of having mod'd stock parts.
                              Yeah. You aint kidding. Been watching those threads pop up for the past few months now.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                I think 3/4 or 1" was reported to put the upper intake into the hood. That may have been on a 351w though, not a 302. Can't quite remember all the details.
                                351 has clearance problems on a Vic with taller intakes. I don't think its much of an issue on a 302 but I don't have a Vic either.

Honestly don't know what, if anything, the extra 1/2" or so will do for the intake. In theory the longer length makes them better for low rpm torque at the expense of high rpm flow but we're not talking a big change here and the total runner length is already pretty darn long. The spacer does help keep the upper cool just because it acts as an insulator between the upper and lower, but how long that matters I don't know. Drive around for a while and I expect the whole thing gets pretty solidly heat soaked.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X