PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Safe!

I don't think the 88 MGM I used to have even had those insulation pieces any more. The floor did get warm in that car when you pushed it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Yeah. When I get home from the J.O.B. today, She'll go on the raceramps blocks my family bought me. That insulation will be customized accordingly.
    No flame-outs here. Saw enough of those in my NAVY time.. LOL..
    Maybe while it's up there I'll do the door bottoms too.
    I'm going to clean out all the seam sealer and give it the 'rust killer' treatment.
    I've been using this stuff from Interstate Products for years with good results.
    https://store.interstateproducts.com...Rust_Converter
    Coupla coats of that, keeping the drains all clear and then maybe some rattle can bedliner. I like that stuff.
    All FORD All The Time

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Perhaps you have oil on the sheetmetal underneath the insulation like my CV had. All of that oil saved the metal from rotting out. THe other metal that didn't receive oil rotted away.

My Ranger used to smoke up a bit on hot summer days in traffic. It leaked oil at the back of the intake manifold gasket; ran down the block and somehow make it onto the Y-pipe. When traffic would break up, the smoke show would end.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

My Towncar puked a quart every 200 miles when I got it, and I was told it had leaked lots of oil from new. The underside of that thing was disgusting and clouds of smoke would roll out of it every time I came to a stop. I degreased it when I caught the car on fire. Not from the oil, it was a fuel leak, but the thick coating of oil did not help matters at all.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The culprit..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190906_194425[1].jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	52596
    I carefully(yeah..right!) tore the insulation out from both sides so it cant fall down on the cats. When I lift the carpets in the spring, I'll throw some frost-king foil faced adhesive insulation under the carpet and go. Sherrie will never see salt, so I'm not really worried about it rusting away soon.
    I thought I'd throw a coulpa underside shots of Carls handi-work with the exhaust on here for your enjoyment. I think he did a great job.

Name:	20190906_194313[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	52597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190906_194313[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	52597

Name:	20190906_194954[1].jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	52598

Name:	20190906_195007[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	52599
    ...and a shot of Sherrie on the blocks.

Name:	20190906_195915[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	52600
    Tomorrow she gets the door bottom treatment.
    All FORD All The Time

Door bottoms before...

Name:	20190908_155756.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	52617

Name:	20190908_155832.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	52618
    Picked out of seam sealer, gently wire brushed as the directions say and double brushed.
    The secret sauce...

Name:	20190908_155718.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	52619
    Door bottoms after. The stuff looks like coffee with cream. Turns the metal that has iron oxide black, and is paintable.
    They seemed to be in very good shape aside from the surface malarkey.
    I'm going crazy with these sideways pictures. UGH.!!!! I can't figure out how to get them straight...

Name:	20190908_161618.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	52620
    All FORD All The Time

Interesting stuff. I don't think I've come across that product before.

How do you like it compared to other like POR15? Seems a bit less cancer causing than POR15. Any idea how it holds up after some time? I know with POR15, I'll sometimes get spots where it will need to be re-applied because the rust managed to make it's way through (or better yet, water found its way in).

This is the link I managed to find: https://store.interstateproducts.com...st_killer_1gal

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post
    This is the link I managed to find: https://store.interstateproducts.com...st_killer_1gal
    That's the stuff. I threw a link up a while back.
    I haven't used POR-15. A friend that does car restoration doesn't like the POR-15. I really never asked him why exactly.
    I used a product in the NAVY like this Rust Killer.
    Same jug, same consistency, same stuff I think. It worked well, and we painted right over it. It's a pain to get off your skin though...
    The radiator support, firewall, toe-boards, and floors in my MERC got done with this stuff inside and out 10 years ago and haven't aged a day since.
    I like how it penetrates the creases and bends, and gets into the metal.
    All FORD All The Time

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    ...…..It's a pain to get off your skin though....
    That's POR15 too. I always manage to get some on my skin despite wearing gloves and long sleeves. And yet POR15 seems to be picky about the condition of the metal that I apply it to. :-/

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The Eastwood stuff isn't much better. They have a soupy converter stuff and another thats more like paint. I used both on the inside of the bumpers I put on the Conti and there is still a few spots of it on the floor that i can't get off. Took a week to get it off my finger when the glove tore too.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456