No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild the short block and slap on some EBay aluminum heads; perhaps a B-cam; Comp Cam 274HR; or a Anderson N41; find a Ranger with a toasted 4.0 and swap it in?

How's that ported intake working? I have been curious about how they perform.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
      How's that ported intake working? I have been curious about how they perform.
      I've built a mutt kinda. The 347 by design and with my cam should be strong in the 2K to 5500 range. It is.
      I'll echo a sentiment I've read on here a hundred times.
      Nothing replaces the off idle grunt of the stock setup.
      I'm dialing in this Megasquirt a little more each day. I'm at 59 miles right now, so we're good and broke-in. I'll give a full opinion on the EGR explorer porting from Big Dogs and the whole experience after it's tuned more. I can't get it to just...launch. It falls on it's face 2 or 3 times from excessive lean...then goes like hell.
      the silverfox valve body and locking out OD makes this thing a weapon on the highway. YOWZA..
      More to follow.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Hope everyone's Christmas was stellar.

Sorted out the Megasquirt and it's working well. Idle timing is too high for my liking at 17 degrees, but I'll get it down as far as the engine will allow.
        It starts clean from cold to a 1200 RPM idle until it reaches 120 degrees then steps down 100 RPM every 10 degrees until it's at 750 RPM above 160 degrees. Getting the after-start enrichment right may never be finished. We'll see.

The magic VE number for this engine is 53 when it is idling on the IAC. Anything other than that, and it hunts a bit.
        Needless to say, I'm learning A LOT about how awesome Megasquirt is. Imagine total control of everything your engine does and still being able to be a mechanic when you work on your car. Unlike other easier to use systems that are very effective, this one still requires thought as opposed to selecting a different curve (fuel/timing/VE) that might work better.
        Big Dogs porting in a nutshell.
        His work has proven to be well thought out and effective for me. I'd do it again in a second. The finish of the porting is excellent, and his paint work is seriously tough stuff. He sent me a ported spacer just in case... AFTER I was neck deep in the project, and I didn't need it. Tony actually checked in with me afterwards to see how it was going and connected me with one of his tuners for advice on making this work right. That kinda stuff makes it worth even more to me. I'll use him again.

My current dilemna is HVAC related and Hopefully next week I'll sort it out.
        I removed the original MAP, air pump, and EGR, and accompanying vacuum lines. I put a new A/C compressor on. Vacuumed and put almost 3 lbs of freon in it (I can't remember exactly what it called for). Right now, I have heat on the windshield that I can't turn to another setting. The fan speed can be adjusted but that's it.
        This cam is not producing as much vacuum as the system is designed for, and I'm thinking that might be a factor.
        So, that's where I'm at.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Here is a site that lists not only the Freon caps but also the oil caps. CV specs stop at '87 but I have to believe it is pretty close. Hope it helps ya!

https://www.techchoiceparts.com/refr...apacities/ford
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

That table is for R12 not R134a, so the amount will be different. The way I charge ac I start with X amount of refrigerant, then add more based on discharge temps. Easy peasy.

As for the stuck on defrost thing, if you have a hand vacuum pump and test the blend door actuators. My bet is on a leak somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
              That table is for R12 not R134a, so the amount will be different. The way I charge ac I start with X amount of refrigerant, then add more based on discharge temps. Easy peasy.

As for the stuck on defrost thing, if you have a hand vacuum pump and test the blend door actuators. My bet is on a leak somewhere.

Sorry - forgot you were doing the conversion but some folks may still be using R-12 or an equivalent so maybe it can help someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                Sorry - forgot you were doing the conversion but some folks may still be using R-12 or an equivalent so maybe it can help someone else?
                You were trying to help, no harm in that at all. It’ll definitely come in handy to someone.

Comment

17 degrees at idle is probably not unreasonable if thats with computer-controlled timing advance. The stock EEC has idle timing somewhere near 20 BTDC when its allowed to control things.

Hot defrost means you have no vacuum supply to the HVAC control head. Those lines come out of the middle of the firewall. One went to the check valve on the vacuum tree, the other went to the thermal blower lockout. If you don't have the TBL, you have to seal those lines off or its just a wide open vacuum leak. On the check valve, its got 2 connections. One to the line going in the dash, the other to the soup can. Both of those must be connected and the soup can has to not leak or it won't work either. And the tree has to have vacuum of course. If you've got more than about 10 inches it should function, even if it doesn't function perfectly.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 12-29-2021, 11:56 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    17 degrees at idle is probably not unreasonable if thats with computer-controlled timing advance. The stock EEC has idle timing somewhere near 20 BTDC when its allowed to control things.

Hot defrost means you have no vacuum supply to the HVAC control head. Those lines come out of the middle of the firewall. One went to the check valve on the vacuum tree, the other went to the thermal blower lockout. If you don't have the TBL, you have to seal those lines off or its just a wide open vacuum leak. On the check valve, its got 2 connections. One to the line going in the dash, the other to the soup can. Both of those must be connected and the soup can has to not leak or it won't work either. And the tree has to have vacuum of course. If you've got more than about 10 inches it should function, even if it doesn't function perfectly.
                    Happy New Year everyone.

My thinking on the 17 degrees versus the 20 it was at... is purely seat of the pants. It just feels like it's "working" at idle. When it's hot the starter struggles too, so the 17 seems to be a happy place. Maybe we'll go to 18 degrees and give 'er a go..

The TBL and those lines will get another thorough once over. The smoke machine said I had no leaks on the engine side, so maybe we'll try that on the HVAC side of the firewall and watch for some puffs..LOL..

It's been converted to 134 Frankie. Appreciate the link.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                      Happy New Year everyone.

My thinking on the 17 degrees versus the 20 it was at... is purely seat of the pants. It just feels like it's "working" at idle. When it's hot the starter struggles too, so the 17 seems to be a happy place. Maybe we'll go to 18 degrees and give 'er a go..

The TBL and those lines will get another thorough once over. The smoke machine said I had no leaks on the engine side, so maybe we'll try that on the HVAC side of the firewall and watch for some puffs..LOL..

It's been converted to 134 Frankie. Appreciate the link.
                      No problem - R-134 will have somewhat different numbers but for those still with R-12 (as I have in my '93 GM) the link is extremely helpful. Have thought about the conversion but it works so well now I hate to tinker with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	R-12 R134a Conversion.png
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1289886 Hope this conversion chart is even more helpful (and I uploaded it correctly!).

Comment

Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone that might be interested.

I'm going to build a roller 302/306 for my wifes car and use the '86 engine I have as the donor. It is a complete engine with 92K miles on it.
                        I'm offering the heads, intake, exhaust manifolds and any other involved parts any of you might need, for nothing. I can't see scrapping the stuff if you guys can use it.
                        I'll ship smaller things via USPS at your cost. PM me with your needs and I'll try to help. Heavy stuff will be you pick up. I'd meet within reason. Gas is brutal.
                        The core is going to the machine shop today and I'll need to tell them what I want to save before next weekend. (3-19/20)
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Are these the stock LoPo engine parts?
                          1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                            Are these the stock LoPo engine parts?
                            Yep. Stock '86... in decent shape.
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

PM sent
                              1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

The time has come to rebuild Sherrie's rear end. Finally got all my parts together, and it'll be happening soon.
                                I've been waiting for this and it finally came..
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbon trac.loc kit.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	848.9 KB
ID:	1290117

from what I've read the included spring won't work with 28 spline axles, but the stock spring works decently.
                                Dumb question here. CV's are ALL 28 splines..?
                                I'd like to use the stiffer spring just because, but if it's gotta be a tool box jewel it will be I guess.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X