'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
    The time has come to rebuild Sherrie's rear end. Finally got all my parts together, and it'll be happening soon.
    I've been waiting for this and it finally came..
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]57679[/ATTACH]

from what I've read the included spring won't work with 28 spline axles, but the stock spring works decently.
    Dumb question here. CV's are ALL 28 splines..?
    I'd like to use the stiffer spring just because, but if it's gotta be a tool box jewel it will be I guess.
    You can use the supplied spring with 28-spline axles. It's just a bit more difficult to install. When I installed that kit in my Mustang, I ended up clamping one end with some vise grips to get it started. I then hammered it the rest of the way in. There are likely better methods out there. I suggest checking out YouTube.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I have used the visegrip method as well. I believe all 8.8 rears were originally 28 spline through 03. not sure if they changed in 04 or 05. possible exceptions being limos rears and trucks?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

pretty much. I think 05 was the switchover... mid year. Exceptions being the Marauder IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

03 Marauder was 28. I believe the 04 was also. Though strangely enough they used a unique carrier.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

ah... I guess I didn't remember correctly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

With all the details of modern engineering it is amazing we remember significant parts of anything.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Especially since I've never been inside any axle except the one on my 93... with Scott's help. I'm just remembering all the stuff posted here.

Comment

Thanks Ya'll.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

I'm also looking for a few parts.

passenger side trim behind rear tire. Mine is dinged up from P/O..
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220415_155202.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1290125

I'd like to find this entire tag mount recess (?) this one split when the trunk lid got repainted, so I sealed it with clear silicone.

Name:	Resized_20220415_155103.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	849.0 KB
ID:	1290126
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

I found your stainless trim for you. Part number EOAZ54291B20A
                      See Ebay listing #162202677470

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        Nice. Hop on that!
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          Thanks.
                          I'm on it.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Looking for some help from ya'll...
                            I know there's a nice clear vacuum diagram on here somewhere that is appropriate for my car. I've been looking for a while to no avail.
                            My goal is to re-evaluate all my remaining vacuum lines and try to downsize or simplify if I can and get a cleaner and the most powerful signal I can to my brake system. After this 347 swap and knowing my cam specs....I should still have nice power assisted brakes.
                            What I have is the 86 brakes that truly aren't too 'power' anymore.
                            I'm also looking for the strongest signal I can provide the HVAC system and where on the firewall it actually draws it's signal through.
                            Cam specs/card

Name:	Cam Card.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1290137
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Have you checked the fan shroud? There should be a sticker on it with all the info you need on the vacuum lines. I remember when I first got my '85, I was searching everywhere to no avail for a correct vacuum diagram. Then while I was standing with the hood opened I noticed it.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                Have you checked the fan shroud? There should be a sticker on it with all the info you need on the vacuum lines. I remember when I first got my '85, I was searching everywhere to no avail for a correct vacuum diagram. Then while I was standing with the hood opened I noticed it.
                                Hell no. Why would I check there...LOL...
                                I'll look today EHRMAHGERD...
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X