No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my Tracking number from Dan at SilverFox Trans.. Should have this valve body tomorrow. Pretty amped about getting this slushbox tightened up.
    It will be really nice to actually control which gear I want. I'm going to add an additional trans cooler before the radiator and plumb it in with hard lines if possible.
    If my attitude is right and my patience battery charged, this'll be a no-brainer.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Trans done.
      Silverfox SPT-R Valve body is good money spent. Works as advertised AND it's adjustable. Electric solenoid controlled OD access is Tits.
      Since the OD drum was scored inside and way overheated...It got a new one. I don't think my trans had a thousand miles left in it.
      Added the Sonnax OD servo.
      Every other part was police service stuff.
      Used a 2200-2400 converter. It was a good decision. Car drives 'tight' until you want it loose a little. Doesn't lock-up immediately like stock.
      Ended up using a Hayden trans cooler.
      Mustang trans mount to replace my jello original. It was a tad taller putting the trans tail up a little which conversely caused my fan to just touch the shroud a little.
      A couple swipes with the utility knife and no more noise.
      Getting the mount into the crossmember required intelligent use of the burr on the air angle grinder to alter the sides of the slots that the mount studs go through.
      Not really a challenge, but it was required. So heads up anyone reading this. The mustang mount works fine.
      New U-Joints and fresh paint on the driveshaft and crossmember.
      I'll get some pix of the job on here.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Cool same thing happened with my car once I went to a Mustang trans mount. I used a energy suspension one. It had an extra bracket that went above the the mount and was sandwiched between the mount and the cross member that also needed to be clearanced for mounting like you encountered. When I put my 5speed in I left out the extra bracket. No issues yet.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
          Appreciated.
          As I said, I've never built an EFI project.. so this is as Greek to me as Baclava.
          Yah, my friends make fun of me because of that. They think that I am old enough to know early EFI better. :-/

As for the transmission mount and X-member, I wrestled with that for a hour before figuring it out. My Harbor Freight transmission jack was very helpful with getting that all mounted up in place.
          Last edited by packman; 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

So I thought I'd throw some pix on here of this transmission job.
            Here goes.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_155445.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1287039
            OD drum. Overheated really bad. Inside of the bore was scored and razor sharp.

I'm betting this slushbox had a thousand miles left in it.

Name:	20200512_155453.jpeg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1287043
            Plates were TOASTED.

Name:	received_646189625968343.jpeg
Size:	747.9 KB
ID:	1287040
            New Sonnax OD servo and other things. Kinda like candy crush on brains.
            You can see the wires for the Silverfox VB here. Good stuff there man.
            I can't wait to see how it works with this 347.

Name:	20200512_155719-1.jpeg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1287041
            Pro-Torque converter. 2200 stall. Glad I did it.

Name:	20200515_145256.jpeg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1287042
            Mustang mount installed. Went with rubber because I couldn't get poly within the week and it had to get off the lift.

Name:	20200512_155835.jpeg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1287044
            Won't be long and we'll be pulling that out too...

I'll put pix of the wiring and switch up soon. Outta time tonight.
            Last edited by clutch47; 05-22-2020, 09:29 PM.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

So if you've been reading this you know I'm doing a 347 with AFR 165s.
              I was kinda stuck on the intake.
              Not a big fan of the aftermarket for this project, and really wanted to use FoMoCo parts to keep it looking stock. Ford parts fit. I wasn't after Mustang style power.
              So I went with the explorer GT-40 and planned to get it massaged.
              I did some swapping and ended up with a BBK 70mm EGR and an Edelbrock/BBK 75mm throttle body.
              Heres a few pix of the parts so far.

Throttle body before

Name:	TB before.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1287178

Throttle body after porting. Before and after CFM numbers for your enjoyment.

Name:	TB.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1287179

EGR Before

Name:	EGR plate before.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1287180

EGR bored/ported after

Name:	20200629_185804.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1287181

Lower before.. not the best picture

Name:	Lower before.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1287182

Lower after porting. Shots from top and bottom. I'll show the #1 and #5 too.

Name:	Lower.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1287183Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom of the lower.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1287184

Name:	1 dogleg.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1287185Click image for larger version

Name:	5 dogleg.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1287186

Upper

Name:	Upper Intake and flow.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1287187

That's 10 pix. I'll put more up of the top plate and the finish next time. I'm pretty stoked.
              I can't say enough positive about Tony Brooks at Big Dogs porting.
              We exchanged many messages before this started. He was aware of the specific issues CV owners face.
              I mailed him my stuff, and then the virus hit. I was getting worried. Tony answered EVERY message and kept me informed.
              THEN... A storm lifted the roof off his shop. I thought I was screwed. A guy I don't know, 4 states away. All I could think was SSHHIIIIIIIT.
              He sent me pictures of the carnage, answered my questions and sent my parts.
              All bullshit aside, it took a while, and it's obvious why.
              This guy went through a LOT and still did me a solid and the parts turned out very well.
              He easily swapped the TB around to work for me and made sure it won't whistle.
              I'd recommend him to anyone.
              Bottom line, I've got custom for me parts ported and matched to work together that outflow a trick flow R, for HUNDREDS less.
              Last edited by clutch47; 07-02-2020, 09:48 PM.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

the Explorer intakes are a good part. Even as-cast they're decent but they can be made better for sure.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

More pix of Big Dogs work.

Name:	Upper closeup.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1287191

Name:	Upper intake and plate.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1287192

Name:	Upper intake finish.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1287193

Name:	Upper.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1287194

Next plan is to make my throttle/TV cable mounting. I'm thinking I'll mount this operation right to the bench so I can mock it up, and get decent pix.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Sherrie went to the spa. Some serious time with a polisher and then ceramic coated. I'm in love with this car.

Name:	Drivers frt qtr.jpeg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1287425

Name:	Drivers Int.jpeg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1287426

Name:	Back seat.jpeg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1287430

Name:	Pass frt qtr.jpeg
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1287427

Name:	Pass side.jpeg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1287428

Name:	Rear.jpeg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1287429
                    Last edited by clutch47; 09-18-2020, 08:21 AM.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Nice bright white paint. Looks great.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Comment

Very nice and shiny . Care to say how much for the ceramic coating ?

Comment

The product itself is pricey but the real cost is the preparation of the paint. The ceramic supposedly seals the paint for upwards of a year..some two to three..and you want your paint to be compounded and polished out to perfection underneath so the ceramic protects a perfect looking paint for that amount of time. The prep work is the time killer..and money demander. I have purchased ceramic coating for myself to apply but I need a facility in order for me to properly prep the car and then apply the coating. Just compounding and polishing the car out can take well over a day. Then the coating needs to fully cure indoor for two days inside before going out in the elements. All coating vary but that is the gist of it.

If you got out for under a thousand and the compounded, polished and ceramic coated the paint and you are happy with the results then I would consider yourself getting a good deal.
                            ~David~

Comment

Car looks stellar.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                The product itself is pricey but the real cost is the preparation of the paint. The ceramic supposedly seals the paint for upwards of a year..some two to three..and you want your paint to be compounded and polished out to perfection underneath so the ceramic protects a perfect looking paint for that amount of time. The prep work is the time killer..and money demander. I have purchased ceramic coating for myself to apply but I need a facility in order for me to properly prep the car and then apply the coating. Just compounding and polishing the car out can take well over a day. Then the coating needs to fully cure indoor for two days inside before going out in the elements. All coating vary but that is the gist of it.

If you got out for under a thousand and the compounded, polished and ceramic coated the paint and you are happy with the results then I would consider yourself getting a good deal.
                                I am glad you mentioned about the cure time of two days inside. My car will go from the detail shop to the garage and sit for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                                X