• Show
Clear All

A few more pix of this project

Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost there.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1289313

Note the cupholder. I mean shit man... it's gotta go somewhere, right.?

Name:	Almost there 2.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1289314

I was concerned with the oil filler tube and cap hitting the explorer intake. Nope. Thankfully.
    Another concern was the fuel pressure regulator fitting in there without rubbing. Golden.

Name:	Injector and distributor clearance.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1289315

Fuel rail is CLOSE to the distributor, but fits and doesn't touch.

Name:	Injector harness.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1289316

After reading EVERY thread I could find on here for the last few years, I had no idea these panthers use a different injector harness plug than every other thing out there. I have an injector harness from an '86 Mustang GT and it's the same as my car.
    Soo...… 'Impromptu fix it right' is the current bump. Probably just change each plug and be done with it.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
      Fuel rail is CLOSE to the distributor, but fits and doesn't touch.
      Hopefully you don't need to adjust the dizzy counterclockwise, or it's going to hit. But looking at where your TFI module is pointing, you should be just fine.

If the Mustang harness plugs are different, surely the injectors are different aswell, wouldn't make sense to have same size injectors with 2 different plugs. Mustangs probably have bigger injectors. Your injectors are EV6 and the harness is for EV1 injectors.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I remember a guy in my club buying adapters for his harness and injectors on an H-D build last year. I'll look into that.
        Thanks.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Question for everyone that has done the explorer intake swap.
          Hows the hood clearance AFTER..?

I ask because I think I want to stick a 1 inch spacer in between the upper and lowers for more room..
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Nice! I had to put a 90* fitting to point my oil sender unit out towards the front of the engine. Everything fit around it. I didn't know that about the injector plug interchangeability. I found replacement plugs at NAPA and installed those. And I will hope that my dizzy plays nice with the aftermarket fuel rails I got.

Comment

Todays *GOINK* is the 5/8" crank pulley spacer is, well.... 3/8ths short.
              So it's the 1 inch spacer for the win. YAY. It'll be here in a few days.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

I have the tubular intake with a 3/8 spacer and it is close. I think you will be hitting with a one inch spacer on the explorer upper.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  I have the tubular intake with a 3/8 spacer and it is close. I think you will be hitting with a one inch spacer on the explorer upper.
                  THX. I guess we'll go with no spacer for now and just deal with how tight it is. I'm hoping there's enough hood clearance that I can keep the insulation and everything else just as Henry Fords minions made it.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Again, tubular here, and I needed the 3/8 spacer to allow for clearance between the upper intake vacuum fittings and the heater core hard pipe. I have hood insulation as well as a factory ford f250 underhood light (retractable bit with magnet on end) and that guy just touched the corner of my intake.

If you already dont have a spacer you can at least get by with the 3/8" one.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

1" spacer keeps the intake off of my carb'd valve covers. If I had to do this again; I would opt for the Box-R intake and modify the stock valve covers (cutting the baffles out); and rely on a catch can to keep oil out of the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                        1" spacer keeps the intake off of my carb'd valve covers. If I had to do this again; I would opt for the Box-R intake and modify the stock valve covers (cutting the baffles out); and rely on a catch can to keep oil out of the intake.
                        How would you plumb the catch can?
                        I thought about it by putting a T in the vent line coming out of the oil fill tube.

Found slick little adapters that allow these new injectors to plug into the harness. Pix coming.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

I used a T-brace from Home Depot (found in the door framing aisle) and a piece of 90* aluminum stock to mount my Moroso catch can. I had to cut the aluminum stock to fit the EGR eliminator plate. Then it was just running hose from the valve cover oil fill fitting to the catch can; and from the catch can to the port on the throttle body. It's not pretty, but it should work. I have another larger TFS catch can for the pcv system as well.

Name:	IMG_1298.JPEG
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	1289353 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299.JPEG
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	1289354

Comment

A decent idea. Thanks.
                            One of my friends is adamant that I should eliminate the EGR and air pump entirely and just save the parts in case emissions inspection practices get tighter.
                            He thinks with the megasquirt, I'll easily tune out any part throttle hesitancy.
                            I'm still in favor of keeping the EGR, but the air pump will probably go.
                            I've been sitting on a Ford air pump eliminator M-8604-A50 for a Mustang for years. I might try that out.
                            Exhaust guy believes the cats on the car are not original and I should keep them. I had planned to, so...no changes there.
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Fortunately in Jersey, if you get QQ plates; you don't have to go through emissions. Cheaper for the state to do it that way; so they don't have to keep and maintain the old inspection equipment.

Comment

In my county and the counties I travel in, there are no emissions requirements except a visual inspection. Considering the vast majority of the police and inspection mechanics were either waiting in the womb or sucking their thumbs when our cars were new.. I'm not sweating it.
                                Hell man, 1986 was 35 years ago. It hurt to type that.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X