'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another note..
    Any of ya'll got a good photo of the bracket that bolts to the EGR for retaining the throttle and TV cables.?
    I found an ad for an '86 parts car on FB and the owner isn't sure what bracket(s) I need.
    I'd take a picture of mine but Sherrie is in winter storage under my friends business about 25 miles away.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

I have one.
      Attached Files
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Awesome. Thanks. From what I'm learning here, that is an '86 specific part.?
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

I don't think so. I have the one from the '86 CV; and one from the '90 MGM that I was picking apart; they look the same.

Comment

That bracket should be the same. The cable for the trans and lever on the throttle body is what's 86 specific.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just the throttle body and TV cable are unique in 1986. The throttle body has a stud instead of a hole with grommet.(see pic) WagonMan
              Attached Files
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park

Comment

Perfect. I greatly appreciate your help gentlemen.
                Anybody wanna part with the TB lever above..?
                I'm going to a different EGR/Throttle body so I'll need the lever. I picked up a BBK 70MM EGR that's going to be the center of this plan.
                I'm going to use a bracket if I can find one, and make mounts for it on my bigger EGR plate. I'm thinking about doing studs instead of blind holes.
                So once I can mount the cables to my EGR, get a throttle lever onto my TB shaft.. I'll be in business. Any advice.?
                As I said earlier I can't get to my car right now. She's away for a long winters nap..
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

The "lever" is part of the throttle body. Its attached to the shaft. If you want to buy my TB and bracket, PM me. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park

Comment

That was the mistake I made after pulling the lopo from the '86 CV; I got rid of most the parts I really needed in an effort to keep the complaints down. Among those parts was the '86 TB. I ended up removing the TB lever from said '90 MGM and using that on the aftermarket TB. I still have the '86 TB cable lying around though.

Comment

this is what the trunk is for. Put all those parts in so the neighbors can't see anything.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So here's where I'm at with Sherrie. She's currently bone stock '86 and leaky.
                        So when the intake comes off, she's getting a new attitude.

I currently have:

Early Explorer upper and lower intake with EGR.
                        Both being ported and flowed. I'm going to give the guy at Big Dogs porting a try.
                        I have a friend from the dragstrip that is very happy with his work.
                        AFR 165's. #1472
                        FMS roller rockers
                        TF 3/8 hardened 6.250 stock replacement pushrods. Hopefully they are the right length. We'll see.
                        BBK 70mm EGR spacer getting bored to 75mm
                        75mm BBK Throttle body
                        BBK unequal shorty headers.

I'm going to TRY to run this on a Stock FORD Speed Density computer despite the clamoring to switch to MAF.
                        The more I read and speak to racers at the local speed shop, the more I'm believing that SD is better, especially with a custom cut cam for SD compatibility.
                        A fella there has gotten into the low 11s with an 87 LX with heads intake cam distributor swap on a stock computer. It works. He drives it all the time.
                        So I'm looking for an ECU from an 88 mustang with an automatic... Not sure of the letter designation yet. If the 'puter from the manual car works with my setup then.. I'll use one.
                        I'll be using 19lb injectors and basically replicating the mustang fuel system.

My only real concern is the pistons.
                        If these are actually flat tops..with no reliefs.. and they have to be notched...I'm not doing that.
                        I'll find another engine and make it a 306 or whatever I can afford.
                        So when I get Sherrie back from storage, we're going in with a borescope to see what's in there.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

So i assume you're going to HO firing order then but doing all this on the stock LOPO short block? I believe these pistons have a slight dish to them, so PTV shouldn't be an issue. What CC are the chambers on your heads? When i put the edelbrocks on my other car(62cc chambers) it made a notable bump in compression, like major. I can't testify to how well you're going to run on stock mustang SD computer but you may get lucky. The cam will definitely have an impact on that, and my understanding is that if you plan to tune it, SD is way better. I went this way and that on the whole tuning thing but after looking over all of it, decided to just run a stock A9P with MAF and let it eat. I know it won't be up to it's full potential but the implications of driveability and smog legality led to take a big step back on my aspirations.

Over the years i have personally run, and known lots of people running pretty exotic shit on stock computers so i know it works, despite being a bit archaic, especially given the variety of options for tuning and standalone setups. I really wanted to run a Megasquirt PIMP but found out that MS disables all emissions controls and that won't fly here. Quarterhorse is way more work than i'm willing to put in and the Anderson PMS has quirks that i also don't really want to deal with. I have a PMS if you're interested in it by the way.

Comment

With the additional air as well as the next step injectors... it MIGHT work. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work. You should probably look into putting a wide band gauge on your setup so you can see how the ECM copes with the combo. If it's generally staying in the happy zones (little rich at WOT, little lean at idle, and centered cruising) you should be good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              So i assume you're going to HO firing order then but doing all this on the stock LOPO short block?
                              Yep, if it works. I wonder how the LoPo firing order would make power.?
                              I believe these pistons have a slight dish to them, so PTV shouldn't be an issue. What CC are the chambers on your heads? 60cc
                              When i put the edelbrocks on my other car(62cc chambers) it made a notable bump in compression, like major. I can't testify to how well you're going to run on stock mustang SD computer but you may get lucky. The cam will definitely have an impact on that, and my understanding is that if you plan to tune it, SD is way better. I went this way and that on the whole tuning thing but after looking over all of it, decided to just run a stock A9P with MAF and let it eat. I know it won't be up to it's full potential but the implications of driveability and smog legality led to take a big step back on my aspirations.

Over the years i have personally run, and known lots of people running pretty exotic shit on stock computers so i know it works, despite being a bit archaic, especially given the variety of options for tuning and standalone setups. I really wanted to run a Megasquirt PIMP but found out that MS disables all emissions controls and that won't fly here. Quarterhorse is way more work than i'm willing to put in and the Anderson PMS has quirks that i also don't really want to deal with. I have a PMS if you're interested in it by the way.We could talk about that on a PM....

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              With the additional air as well as the next step injectors... it MIGHT work. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Fingers crossed
                              You should probably look into putting a wide band gauge on your setup so you can see how the ECM copes with the combo. If it's generally staying in the happy zones (little rich at WOT, little lean at idle, and centered cruising) you should be good Please Recommend me a wideband that isn't extravagant. .
                              I've built a few cars over the years, all carbureted. My only experience with E.F.I. was on a friends drag race Harley running a Megasquirt. It was pretty incredible.
                              This car is my first computer controlled project that I'm going this far with. So it's all learning for me.
                              Last edited by clutch47; 01-16-2020, 01:24 PM.
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

A lot of these set ups are for drag racers where the car may run fine at wide open throttle but have poor drivability at low and mid throttle. Only way to know for sure is to do it. All cars act differently may get luckily.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X