PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I've never known a 302 that didn't use oil like that. I thing Tiggie posted a bulletin from Ford about it, Ford would install rings if the car used more than a quart between oil changes or something like that.

Def IAC problem. I fixed mine by cleaning and lubricating the stepper motor as well as freeing up the plunger thing inside the IAC body. The brand new Motorcraft unit I bought did the same thing right out of the box..
    My buddy had the 2 LoPos. Both lost oil from multiple locations. Both had weird idle issues. The '89 never did the cold start high-idle and therefor would die when you put it in gear on a cold motor if you didn't 2-foot it. Cleaned the IAC, it smoothed out the idle but still no high-idle. Turned out to be a defective coolant temp sensor, it never read cold so it never did the cold start high idle. The '91 Wagon would never leave high-idle mode, thing would idle down the road at 35mph. That one had a temp gauge so we knew it didn't have a temp reading, the sensor was snapped right off. Put the broken sensor back together, it read fine and helped with cold start, but still high idle. Cleaned the IAC and that mostly fixed it, but it was never 100% correct like the '89 was. It started and ran fine so he just lived with the high-ish idle. That one did get its biggest oil leak fixed, the valve covers got so bad that the oil dripping onto the exhaust made it almost undriveable cuz of the smoke.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

We've had a total of three NoPos in our life so far. Oil slurpers. No oil leaks though, even my '85 once I changed the valve cover gaskets. My '85 dripped like your buddy's.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

My IAC was gummed up when we first got the car. The CV would run fine with a little throttle; but die at idle; especially in gear. My local auto parts store told me to spray carb cleaner into the IAC until I saw silver inside of it. Did that and the idle smoothed out. A couple years later the idle quality went down again; took the IAC off to clean it and discovered that the lopo was putting a lot of oil into the intake. After attempting to change out the PCV screen (unsuccessfully), I gave up and made plans to swap engines rather then tearing down the lopo to change gaskets. Probably should have went that route, but I wanted something with a little more "go". My solution to the oil issue (if I have one) is installing oil/air separators (1 for the pcv system and 1 for the valve cover breather) to keep the intake clean.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

vacuum leaks and bad temperature sensors can also cause the idle roll. If cleaning the IAC doesn't fix it, check that.

The gauges don't run off the same sensor the ECM does, so its possible for one to work and the other to not. Of course 80s Vic has no real gauge, its just got the "replace engine" light that comes on once its too late.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Idle surging issue fixed. Engine temp sensor was cracked completely through the body of the switch. Threw a new Standard Motor Products switch in there, sprayed the IAC down...and VIOLA!
    Picked up some additional gauges. The senders are YOOOGE. I'll be browsing the gauge thread for sender advice.
    All FORD All The Time

Temp senders are all usually pretty much the same size, its the oil one thats a problem. need the sensor extension thing for that. Should be available, every Ford with a smallblock at least used it for 50 years. Avoid the temptation to use plumbing pipe, it will crack and puke oil. I lost 3 quarts in about 15 miles once.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yep. The temp sender is normal sized, and the oil sender is normal too.. (big!)
    I've seen the hexagonal stock extensions years ago.
    You'd think an enterprising guy could make one pretty easily.
    All FORD All The Time

It could be made, but for 24 bucks its easier to just buy one

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9278A/1979-...-Extension-50L

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    It could be made, but for 24 bucks its easier to just buy one

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9278A/1979-...-Extension-50L
    Agreed. Thanks for the link.
    All FORD All The Time

So I got a little work done on Sherrie last week.
    There was about 15 little dings and DEEP chips in the trunk that were repaired with the wrong color white which was driving me nuts.
    An old school body man in town does a few jobs now and then in his old shop and he really liked Sherrie.
    So she got taken down to metal, primed with grey instead of red (? Johnny says it was painted by a shop before because even FORD isn't dumb enough to put RED under white)
    and painted with the right base/clear. It's really WHITE..
    He cut, and polished the whole car and left the lower trim off the trunk as I asked.
    I'm not sure if we'll put the trunk and hood stripes back on yet.. I'm kinda liking the side stripes only.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190812_184732[1].jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	52469

Name:	20190812_184754[1].jpg 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	52470

Name:	20190812_184821[1].jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	52471

Name:	20190812_184944[1].jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	52472
    All FORD All The Time

I think the factory primer was actually red under the white.

From the box trunk lid I sanded, yeah it looks like the primer is some sort of pink color.

Here's a link with pics. Mind the rust. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post713270

clutch47, do you plan on selling the trunk trim you removed? If so, I might have a home for it.

Yah, some sort of oxide type primer. It's good sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post
    From the box trunk lid I sanded, yeah it looks like the primer is some sort of pink color.

Here's a link with pics. Mind the rust. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post713270

clutch47, do you plan on selling the trunk trim you removed? If so, I might have a home for it.
    I'll be keeping it. The plastic covering was peeling so.. it's riding around on the package tray right now. When I get a chance to hopefully make it nice...I'll probably put it back on.
    All FORD All The Time

I thought they used red oxide too but this was different. He shot a video of it to show me.
    He thought it was some kind of high build self etching stuff. He wasn't crazy about that because he said if its not done right the paint soaks into it and dulls.
    Once I get the door bottoms cleaned up and treated I'm going to have him pull the drivers door off and re-hang it with a new hinge.
    The spring in my bottom hinge is broken so it just swings wide.
    I think someone let it fly a few times and because the stop pin is in the top hinge and all the stress is on that...and the bolts are so fart back from the pin..... I think it's sprung.
    It flexes a LOT when you open the door all the way to the stop.
    So it's not loose or sloppy...but when you close it.. it seems fine. Solid thud. yet the rear edge of the frame doesn't seal well. I hear air there.
    I'm gonna find me a sparkly new pair-o-hinges somewhere.
    Any of you fine fellas got a set you will part with.?
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    I'll be keeping it. The plastic covering was peeling so.. it's riding around on the package tray right now. When I get a chance to hopefully make it nice...I'll probably put it back on.
    Ok Cool. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The one I have on my boxy trunk lid (the blue one linked in my previous post) is completely shot.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    ...He thought it was some kind of high build self etching stuff. He wasn't crazy about that because he said if its not done right the paint soaks into it and dulls...
    That's what good primer sealer is for, keeps the other paint layers from bleeding through. I didn't use any on my Grand Am when I wrecked it. Three weeks or so later after I re shot the hood, you could see where I made my repairs. Rookie mistake.

That is some shiny trunk paint you got there!

Oh and Yes. Definitely used a red/pink primer under white from factory.

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-15-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    That is some shiny trunk paint you got there!

Oh and Yes. Definitely used a red/pink primer under white from factory.
    Thanks. I'm surprised how it came out. I'm going to try to get a decent shot of the slight shadow left on the hood from the original stripes. Decided to leave that for now and we'll figure that out when I have time. (Like that's ever gonna happen.. HAH!) They were really faded and gone so I asked him to burn them off when he cut and polished the car. Odd that the stripes were all painted EXCEPT the trunk. So we're going with nude whiteness for now. I like it.
    All FORD All The Time

So Sherrie ALMOST went up in flames this morning.
    P/O apparently just let the valve covers leak and kept dumping dino in it...
    So the oil migrated into the toe board insulation. Made it heavy (moderately oil soaked) and it fell onto the cat.
    I put new ones on at week 1. They were that bad..
    I run her hard in the mornings... and the last mile into my work is all uphill.
    So I get in and just set my coffee down, and a young fella comes in with big eyes.
    "Lt., I think your car is smoking really hard"..
    I'm the resident FORD guy so I get ribbed a lot. I expected to see nothing and it was a Chebby guy setting the kid up.
    I said "Awesome"... walked out to see it smoking out of the passenger side cowl area.
    Opened her up...figured it out.. pulled out the insulation that was smoking.
    Coulda been ugly.
    Looked like a tar coating on that insulation was ready to flame.
    So the young buck that was paying attention now gets all you can drink out of the coffee pot on me.
    Last edited by clutch47; 09-06-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    All FORD All The Time

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast