No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as your tach pics go; where you had it in the 4th pic is where I mounted mine. Doesn't seem to block anything there.

As far as your motorvation is concerned; if you already have a 351W, I'd put those AFRs on that and get an EFI intake that will fit that engine.

Comment

So the decision has been made. I'm going to build this 351 and until I have it ready to go in, I'll keep the LoPo alive.
      The next decision is carb or...EFI.
      I have owned some warmed up cars over the years, all carburetor fed.
      I had a 13 second '72 Maverick 302/C4 that got 22 mpg...back when 13's was quick for a street car.
      I think you can buy a Subaru or a damn Mini-van that'll do a hundred MPH in the 1320 nowadays...
      In the 351 decision, its all about using what I have here. I'd build the LoPo into something warmer but I don't want the car out of action that long.
      I think an RPM Air-Gap and a Quick Fuel VS with a duraspark and a 6Abox would be hard to beat with EFI...
      Thoughts.?
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Keeping this LoPo alive and kickin'..
        She knocks a little.
        Makes oil disappear without smoke.
        Now she's got idle up/dow/all-around going on.
        I'm guessing the IAC needs cleaned or smashed. That's my next project.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

That was the route I took with my engine swap. Kept the lopo alive and gathered parts for the 351W until the lopo stopped running. If your lopo is like mine, it is probably leaking oil out of the back of the lower intake gasket. My engine compartment was getting dirtier with each passing year. It was only after yanking the lopo and stock AOD that I discovered just how much oil it was leaking (over everything back to the rear diff).

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
            Keeping this LoPo alive and kickin'..
            She knocks a little.
            Makes oil disappear without smoke.
            Now she's got idle up/dow/all-around going on.
            I'm guessing the IAC needs cleaned or smashed. That's my next project.
            I've never known a 302 that didn't use oil like that. I thing Tiggie posted a bulletin from Ford about it, Ford would install rings if the car used more than a quart between oil changes or something like that.

Def IAC problem. I fixed mine by cleaning and lubricating the stepper motor as well as freeing up the plunger thing inside the IAC body. The brand new Motorcraft unit I bought did the same thing right out of the box..
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              I've never known a 302 that didn't use oil like that. I thing Tiggie posted a bulletin from Ford about it, Ford would install rings if the car used more than a quart between oil changes or something like that.

Def IAC problem. I fixed mine by cleaning and lubricating the stepper motor as well as freeing up the plunger thing inside the IAC body. The brand new Motorcraft unit I bought did the same thing right out of the box..
              My buddy had the 2 LoPos. Both lost oil from multiple locations. Both had weird idle issues. The '89 never did the cold start high-idle and therefor would die when you put it in gear on a cold motor if you didn't 2-foot it. Cleaned the IAC, it smoothed out the idle but still no high-idle. Turned out to be a defective coolant temp sensor, it never read cold so it never did the cold start high idle. The '91 Wagon would never leave high-idle mode, thing would idle down the road at 35mph. That one had a temp gauge so we knew it didn't have a temp reading, the sensor was snapped right off. Put the broken sensor back together, it read fine and helped with cold start, but still high idle. Cleaned the IAC and that mostly fixed it, but it was never 100% correct like the '89 was. It started and ran fine so he just lived with the high-ish idle. That one did get its biggest oil leak fixed, the valve covers got so bad that the oil dripping onto the exhaust made it almost undriveable cuz of the smoke.
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

We've had a total of three NoPos in our life so far. Oil slurpers. No oil leaks though, even my '85 once I changed the valve cover gaskets. My '85 dripped like your buddy's.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My IAC was gummed up when we first got the car. The CV would run fine with a little throttle; but die at idle; especially in gear. My local auto parts store told me to spray carb cleaner into the IAC until I saw silver inside of it. Did that and the idle smoothed out. A couple years later the idle quality went down again; took the IAC off to clean it and discovered that the lopo was putting a lot of oil into the intake. After attempting to change out the PCV screen (unsuccessfully), I gave up and made plans to swap engines rather then tearing down the lopo to change gaskets. Probably should have went that route, but I wanted something with a little more "go". My solution to the oil issue (if I have one) is installing oil/air separators (1 for the pcv system and 1 for the valve cover breather) to keep the intake clean.

Comment

vacuum leaks and bad temperature sensors can also cause the idle roll. If cleaning the IAC doesn't fix it, check that.

The gauges don't run off the same sensor the ECM does, so its possible for one to work and the other to not. Of course 80s Vic has no real gauge, its just got the "replace engine" light that comes on once its too late.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Idle surging issue fixed. Engine temp sensor was cracked completely through the body of the switch. Threw a new Standard Motor Products switch in there, sprayed the IAC down...and VIOLA!
                      Picked up some additional gauges. The senders are YOOOGE. I'll be browsing the gauge thread for sender advice.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Temp senders are all usually pretty much the same size, its the oil one thats a problem. need the sensor extension thing for that. Should be available, every Ford with a smallblock at least used it for 50 years. Avoid the temptation to use plumbing pipe, it will crack and puke oil. I lost 3 quarts in about 15 miles once.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep. The temp sender is normal sized, and the oil sender is normal too.. (big!)
                          I've seen the hexagonal stock extensions years ago.
                          You'd think an enterprising guy could make one pretty easily.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

It could be made, but for 24 bucks its easier to just buy one

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9278A/1979-...-Extension-50L

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              It could be made, but for 24 bucks its easier to just buy one

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9278A/1979-...-Extension-50L
                              Agreed. Thanks for the link.
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

So I got a little work done on Sherrie last week.
                                There was about 15 little dings and DEEP chips in the trunk that were repaired with the wrong color white which was driving me nuts.
                                An old school body man in town does a few jobs now and then in his old shop and he really liked Sherrie.
                                So she got taken down to metal, primed with grey instead of red (? Johnny says it was painted by a shop before because even FORD isn't dumb enough to put RED under white)
                                and painted with the right base/clear. It's really WHITE..
                                He cut, and polished the whole car and left the lower trim off the trunk as I asked.
                                I'm not sure if we'll put the trunk and hood stripes back on yet.. I'm kinda liking the side stripes only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_184732[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1285730

Name:	20190812_184754[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1285731

Name:	20190812_184821[1].jpg