No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the factory primer was actually red under the white.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      From the box trunk lid I sanded, yeah it looks like the primer is some sort of pink color.

Here's a link with pics. Mind the rust. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post713270

clutch47, do you plan on selling the trunk trim you removed? If so, I might have a home for it.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yah, some sort of oxide type primer. It's good sheet.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
          From the box trunk lid I sanded, yeah it looks like the primer is some sort of pink color.

Here's a link with pics. Mind the rust. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post713270

clutch47, do you plan on selling the trunk trim you removed? If so, I might have a home for it.
          I'll be keeping it. The plastic covering was peeling so.. it's riding around on the package tray right now. When I get a chance to hopefully make it nice...I'll probably put it back on.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

I thought they used red oxide too but this was different. He shot a video of it to show me.
            He thought it was some kind of high build self etching stuff. He wasn't crazy about that because he said if its not done right the paint soaks into it and dulls.
            Once I get the door bottoms cleaned up and treated I'm going to have him pull the drivers door off and re-hang it with a new hinge.
            The spring in my bottom hinge is broken so it just swings wide.
            I think someone let it fly a few times and because the stop pin is in the top hinge and all the stress is on that...and the bolts are so fart back from the pin..... I think it's sprung.
            It flexes a LOT when you open the door all the way to the stop.
            So it's not loose or sloppy...but when you close it.. it seems fine. Solid thud. yet the rear edge of the frame doesn't seal well. I hear air there.
            I'm gonna find me a sparkly new pair-o-hinges somewhere.
            Any of you fine fellas got a set you will part with.?
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
              I'll be keeping it. The plastic covering was peeling so.. it's riding around on the package tray right now. When I get a chance to hopefully make it nice...I'll probably put it back on.
              Ok Cool. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The one I have on my boxy trunk lid (the blue one linked in my previous post) is completely shot.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                ...He thought it was some kind of high build self etching stuff. He wasn't crazy about that because he said if its not done right the paint soaks into it and dulls...
                That's what good primer sealer is for, keeps the other paint layers from bleeding through. I didn't use any on my Grand Am when I wrecked it. Three weeks or so later after I re shot the hood, you could see where I made my repairs. Rookie mistake.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That is some shiny trunk paint you got there!

Oh and Yes. Definitely used a red/pink primer under white from factory.

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-15-2019, 03:07 PM.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    That is some shiny trunk paint you got there!

Oh and Yes. Definitely used a red/pink primer under white from factory.
                    Thanks. I'm surprised how it came out. I'm going to try to get a decent shot of the slight shadow left on the hood from the original stripes. Decided to leave that for now and we'll figure that out when I have time. (Like that's ever gonna happen.. HAH!) They were really faded and gone so I asked him to burn them off when he cut and polished the car. Odd that the stripes were all painted EXCEPT the trunk. So we're going with nude whiteness for now. I like it.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

So Sherrie ALMOST went up in flames this morning.
                      P/O apparently just let the valve covers leak and kept dumping dino in it...
                      So the oil migrated into the toe board insulation. Made it heavy (moderately oil soaked) and it fell onto the cat.
                      I put new ones on at week 1. They were that bad..
                      I run her hard in the mornings... and the last mile into my work is all uphill.
                      So I get in and just set my coffee down, and a young fella comes in with big eyes.
                      "Lt., I think your car is smoking really hard"..
                      I'm the resident FORD guy so I get ribbed a lot. I expected to see nothing and it was a Chebby guy setting the kid up.
                      I said "Awesome"... walked out to see it smoking out of the passenger side cowl area.
                      Opened her up...figured it out.. pulled out the insulation that was smoking.
                      Coulda been ugly.
                      Looked like a tar coating on that insulation was ready to flame.
                      So the young buck that was paying attention now gets all you can drink out of the coffee pot on me.
                      Last edited by clutch47; 09-06-2019, 07:52 AM.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Safe!

I don't think the 88 MGM I used to have even had those insulation pieces any more. The floor did get warm in that car when you pushed it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah. When I get home from the J.O.B. today, She'll go on the raceramps blocks my family bought me. That insulation will be customized accordingly.
                          No flame-outs here. Saw enough of those in my NAVY time.. LOL..
                          Maybe while it's up there I'll do the door bottoms too.
                          I'm going to clean out all the seam sealer and give it the 'rust killer' treatment.
                          I've been using this stuff from Interstate Products for years with good results.
                          https://store.interstateproducts.com...Rust_Converter
                          Coupla coats of that, keeping the drains all clear and then maybe some rattle can bedliner. I like that stuff.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Perhaps you have oil on the sheetmetal underneath the insulation like my CV had. All of that oil saved the metal from rotting out. THe other metal that didn't receive oil rotted away.

My Ranger used to smoke up a bit on hot summer days in traffic. It leaked oil at the back of the intake manifold gasket; ran down the block and somehow make it onto the Y-pipe. When traffic would break up, the smoke show would end.

Comment

My Towncar puked a quart every 200 miles when I got it, and I was told it had leaked lots of oil from new. The underside of that thing was disgusting and clouds of smoke would roll out of it every time I came to a stop. I degreased it when I caught the car on fire. Not from the oil, it was a fuel leak, but the thick coating of oil did not help matters at all.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The culprit..
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_194425[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1285823
                                I carefully(yeah..right!) tore the insulation out from both sides so it cant fall down on the cats. When I lift the carpets in the spring, I'll throw some frost-king foil faced adhesive insulation under the carpet and go. Sherrie will never see salt, so I'm not really worried about it rusting away soon.
                                I thought I'd throw a coulpa underside shots of Carls handi-work with the exhaust on here for your enjoyment. I think he did a great job.

Name:	20190906_194313[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1285824Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_194313[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1285824

Name:	20190906_194954[1].jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1285825

Name:	20190906_195007[1].jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1285826
                                ...and a shot of Sherrie on the blocks.

Name:	20190906_195915[1].jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1285827
                                Tomorrow she gets the door bottom treatment.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X